Sunday, May 4, 2008

"Will run for food"

Not just any food, but cookies... lots of cookies!

Patrick and I have been running consistently for about 2 months. In the past we would start running before a vacation or for a New Year's Resolution, but that habit would die quickly, very quickly.

Recently, my brother (thanks bro.)and several friends from around our neighborhood have been talking about how much they love to go running. I run to be healthy, I run to prepare for swimsuit season, but I definitely do not run for fun. That is, until about a month ago.
.
We have become more serious about our fitness goals and I actually look forward to our time running and feeling healthy. I ALWAYS hate the first mile, but after that we both hit a happy place where we can actually have a conversation without gasping for air. We are now averaging about 12 miles a week.
.
With so many fun races going on we decided to start small and look for a 5K. I could not believe our luck when we came across the most perfect race... a cookie chase! It was sponsored by the Girl Scouts and the winner would come home with a 6 month supply of the beloved Girl Scout cookies... WOW! Now that's my kind of race!
.
Needless to say, we did not bring home the prize...
.
BUT, we did have a great time - even if the 6 year old girl in front of us beat us to the finish line.
.
We'll take her next time!

11 comments:

Becca said...

I'm so proud of you! I wish that I knew about that race, I would have totally done it with you guys, it sounds like so much fun and you and Patrick look so cute!

Lynell said...

Way to go. You guys are awesome! I wish I could motivate myself to care about my health, my looks, something. I am in a slump and can't seem to shake it.

You guys rock! What an example!

I love you both. Ü

Erin said...

Seriously Becca, I would hear you talk about running and wish I could join in the "I love running" conversation. I will keep working up to your pace (it may take a while) and start going with you guys in the morning. I would feel so cool to join your club! smile

BTW, as you can tell from the picture, I don't worry about how I look when we go running. It can get scary sometimes!

Erin said...

Hey Lynell, I must have been leaving a comment when you left a comment... When summer vacation starts let's get together lots! We can help each other! Fun stuff! Love you sis!

Kelly said...

That looks so fun. I used to run a lot, but I moved away from all of my friends who used to run with me. I'm more of a socail runner, but I would like to start up again. I'll have to start looking for a partner. Unfortunatley, Glenn says he only runs is someone is chasing him. :)

Marla said...

You've got to watch the kids in a race - they'll beat the daddy's everytime. It's a good thing my kids weren't there to remind you of how "slow" you were. :) !! We miss you!

Unknown said...

I do not like running. But That sounds like a worth while run...what a cute idea.

Cathy said...

Congratulations! How cool that you both did it together. Maybe I can get Randy to go running with me once I get my jogging stroller fixed.

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

I am the same way! Mile one is awful but after that you get a wind from somewhere and you remember what a release it is to be out running! Way to go you two!

Mandy said...

I remember running for fun. Now it's just torture!:) But a COOKIE RACE...now that just might motivate me. Run fast so you can eat lots of cookies and get fat and never run again. Ha! sounds excellent. someone needs to start a race like that here. I have to tell you though that i'm really proud of you guys for getting to the point that you can run 12 miles a week. THat's great!

Derrell said...

Wow, Erin! Good for you and Patrick! I just found your blog and started reading...
--julie.