I really did.However…
This Wonder Woman didn’t wear a shiny headband or bracelets.
She didn’t wear an American flag looking swimsuit.
She didn’t spin around in a circle to bring out the super hero inside of her.
This wonder woman works in a tiny little shop, among 1,000’s of other tiny little shops in a very busy part of Accra, Ghana.
We purchased a TV for the high school students. Their TV broke almost a year ago. No TV programs, no beloved soccer games, but mostly no news from their country or the world. They were anxious to know what was going on.
We hired a taxi to drive us 1 ½ hours into Accra from our little town. We had to park about ½ a mile away from the little TV shop.
A price was negotiated and, for significantly less than in the U.S., we were able to purchase a brand new television.
I wondered how we would get the TV to our car.
But I should have known…
The men called a little woman from the back of the shop. Two of them helped place the TV on her head and off she went. We had to run to keep up with her-
Seriously...
-
There are so many wonder women in the world... with no fame or glory expected.
I think of all the women all over the world that have no running water and carry each bucket of water to their home for all of their family's needs every day.
I think of all the women who do not have the luxury of a washing machine and wash every single piece of their family’s clothing by hand every week.
I think of all the women that don’t have a refrigerator and have to go shopping daily to prepare food for their family… IF they have money that day.
I think of the women that don’t have a stove and cook all their food on a little coal burning fire they prepare on the floor.
I think of the women who fear that a single mosquito bite could cause the death of not only their children, but anyone they love.
These are the real wonder women in the world.
Because these conditions are so unfamiliar to us, they seem so unthinkable.
But, I also see wonder woman all around me.
I think of my dear mother who, due to financial necessity, started teaching at an incredibly ROUGH high school… traveling 45 minutes each way… AND got her Master’s degree at the same time. I was so young, I could not comprehend the significance of what she was doing. I didn’t applaud her the way I should have on her graduation day when she accepted her diploma with high honors.
I also think of my mother who in the early 80’s wanted Christmas to be a wonderful day for us kids. We had VERY little money and I think deep down, we all knew Santa might have to skip over our house that year. My mother would not have it. Blocking off an entire room of the house with a sheet on a string, she set up a Santa’s workshop and sewed, painted, and created Christmas for all us… out of nothing.
I think of my amazing sister raising 5 kids, running herself ragged to be at every sporting event, every dance recital, every school function, every church responsibility… etc. There is NOTHING Lynell does half way. She gives everything all she’s got.
I think of my sweet sister, Mindy who struggled with infertility for 8 long years. I watched her sorrow, but I also marveled at her strength and determination to trust in the Lord.
I could go on and on, my grandmother, my aunts, my in-laws, my friends, my neighbors.
Nope, there are no shiny headband or bracelets…
But daily we are ALL surrounded by the super hero strength of…
Wonder Woman
.
Who are the wonder women in your life?



12 comments:
We take so much for granted in this country. Those women ARE truly amazing. Thanks for another thought provoking post.
This is an amazing post and I really appreciate it. I, too, think of the women around the world who put so much into life things we never give a second thought and so many of my worries pale in comparison.
My mother was definitely wonder woman in my life, although like you, I didn't appreciate it in it's fullness until I was an adult and mother myself.
My parents went through financial crisis starting around when I was 6 and peaked when I was 8 years old. My father worked 15 hour days, 5 days a week, and then worked secondary jobs several weekends a month for a few years. There were 5 of us kids and I don't know how she did it all alone for all those years.
Not only did she do that, but Christmas and birthdays were always made special, my sisters and I didn't have a clue that we were ever on a brink of doing without. Every day there was something special and fun planned for us, she handled all kinds of trials with such grace, she had profound influence in my life.
I can't even imagine doing half of the things she did, and can't even imagine doing only half just as well! My mom is a real life wonder woman :-)
Thanks for the insight. What an inspiration to just be better, ya know? I thank my Father in Heaven EVERYDAY for all that I am blessed with. I wish I could just say everything individually, specifically but that would just take too long. We truly take for granted all that we are blessed with. To see who I think is a wonder woman check out my post from a few days ago about a woman with breast cancer. She's just one of MANY!!
One of the beauties of having friends and family around you is that they see things about you that you don't see yourself. I think it's amazing that you, along with Heavenly Father!, have made miracles happen in a country on the other side of the world. No one would have thought any less of you if you'd never lifted a finger for them. We can each be Wonder Woman at some point in our lives, that's the greatest part of being women! But I believe it's those who are constantly striving to make pearls from dirt, treasure out of junk, who are truly Wonder Women!
My list (and counting): My MOM! My sister, Carla (adopted my daughter), Marilu (hubby in Iraq), Heidi (ex-Army served in Iraq away from 2 kids), Nancy (MIL raised 7 kids and still on the go), Staffanson women!
Sweet Daughter,
I am overwhelmed by your insight and your beautiful post. My heart is full. Thank you for your kind words and your compliment. You dear, are one of my Wonder Women!!! I love you, Mom
Erin, you seriosly are a wonder woman in my life. When ever I think of someone that has lived their life I think of you. You are amazing and I am so grateful for all you have done and to have known you.
Erin, you write so eloquently! It's true, women are truly the backbone of the world!
Oh My God, she is amazing. Those kind of women are really heroes :) They can make miracles :)
So, Erin, why is it that a good number of your posts bring me to tears? :-) I actually know the reason: the spirit. Thank you.
I don't think any of us have to look any further than out our front door to find a wonder woman in our lives. Every woman is wonderful in her own unique way and I thank you for making me think about the Wonder Women in my life.
What and amazing and inspiring post.
Erin, it would be great to see you on your trip back east! Spring will technically be over in a few weeks... So is this a spur-of-the-moment thing, or a planned-well-in-advance thing? :-)
Post a Comment