Sunday, June 1, 2008

Turning over a new leaf

Hey everybody, It's me, Patrick.

I'm turning over a new leaf and taking an active part in our Blog (that way it's not just Erin's blog :)

Yesterday I had the unique opportunity of seeing something that, in recent years, very few people have seen.
~
One thing you must understand, I love airplanes! Since I can remember, I have had a fascination with airplanes. One of my favorite things to do is fly my radio-controlled airplane several times a week. I'm 35 years old and still every time I hear a plane going overhead, I have to look up to see what kind it is. I've been known to stop by small airports and watch planes take off and land for hours at a time.

I have particular interest in WWII bombers - partly because my great uncle Joseph "Ink" Hannah was a pilot of a B-17 flying fortress and a B-24 liberator in both the european and pacific theaters.
Now, I've seen nearly every documentary on the B-17 flying fortress, as well as the 1990 movie "Memphis Belle" starring Harry Connick Jr. I've seen several B-17's on static display at air force museums. During WWII there were more than 12,000 of these bombers that were built primarily by women on the homefront (Rosie the Riveter). Today, there are only 14 B-17's in the world that still fly. The rest are in museums and scrap-yards. Friday, I got to see one of the few that are still air-worthy.
~
This B-17 named the Aluminum Overcast (http://www.b17.org/) is on a nation-wide tour going from one municiple airport to the next. It made a 3-day stop in Ogden, Utah. For me, it was the chance of a life-time to see one of these old birds actually fly. It was a day that I will never forget.
~
I watched all morning as the Aluminum Overcast took off and landed 3 times. I took nearly 200 pictures. I hope you enjoy the few that I've posted.

10 comments:

Mandy said...

hey Pat. I'm glad you're blogging now. That huge airplane actually has a prop on it! I've never seen anything like that in real life. Very cool.

Grammy Staffy said...

How cool Patrick.....1. that you posted a blog and 2. that you got to see the old plane fly. John would have really enjoyed that. Too bad that we missed it by only a few days. It looks amazing.... a piece of flying history.

We surely had fun with you two. Thanks again for the nice visit. Love Ya

Erin said...

Hi Patrick,

I'm so glad you've jumped on board!

I love your blog about the B-17, I know that was a dream come true for you. I wish I could have been there too!

I love you and hope to read many more future posts, wink!

Janae said...

Sounds like you had a great day. You would get along great with my brother. He loves planes as well and loves taking pictures of them and watching them for hours. Anytime he heard a plane, he'd run outside and he could identify exactly what type of plane it was. Glad to see that you're helping Erin with the family blog page!

Shannon said...

How cool. All the boys in my family love those planes too. They would be jealous to hear about your day watching them take off and land.

Helen mdk said...

Very nice planes and nice photos too :)
I like the one with your husband :D



:)

Becca said...

I firmly believe that inside of every grown man there is still the little boy and all his former passions. I'm glad that you still indulge yours!

Cathy said...

Cool post! These are awesome pictures! This kind of made me want to learn how to fly!

Lynell said...

Patrick,
That is so cool that you got to see these old planes. I am so happy for you. And it is fun to have you ad to the mcgibbon family blog. We love you!

The Snow Queen said...

Do you know where I could get a schedule of where the B-17 bomber will be when? I'd love to take my little boy to see it. Melissa