For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a mommy.
Some of my childhood baby dolls still reside at my parents’ home where they are now lovingly cared for by my nieces when they visit.
I remember washing their hair, combing out the tangles carefully so it wouldn’t hurt, picking out the perfect outfit and putting them to bed when they got too sleepy.
I started babysitting when I was 11 years old. I remember bringing along my “babysitting care kit” full of games and fun activities.
I put together a preschool summer camp when I was 14 and invited all the families I knew with small children.
I majored in Family Science in college to give me a solid base in raising a strong family.
After graduation I started teaching high school and now had the opportunity to work with teenagers, which, as you know, is a completely different ball game.
I learned that I love working with teenagers and truly valued the moments when they would come to talk with me after school, just because.
I wanted to be married. I wanted to start a family. But all the while, I felt my Heavenly Father calming my soul… asking me to be patient.
I trusted Him.
Having my summers off, I had the chance to travel every summer for 9 years, including my experiences to Africa.
I met Patrick and knew he was my perfect match. We got married one week before I turned 33 years old. He was totally worth the wait!
We both were equally excited to start a family. But nothing happened.
We called doctors for an appointment and were told that they would not see us until we had been trying for a year.
On our first anniversary we set an appointment and received “ALL” the information we would need to know. Nothing worked.
We visited a few more doctors who tried multiple tests, still nothing.
We are approaching our 2nd Anniversary.
We are now eligible to apply for adoption through the agency we would like to use. Next week we have an appointment with this adoption agency.
I thought I might feel defeated, but I don’t.
I thought I might feel forgotten, but I don’t.
I thought I might feel betrayed, but I don’t.
Heavenly Father has a plan for us. He, who controls the cosmos, has a plan for me and my husband and our little family.
I would be lying if I told you I have not shed a tear. Several have fallen. But there is a deep inner peace that tells me everything will be ok.
I am thankful for all the opportunities in my life…
And we will trust in His time…
Family is the best!
7 years ago



17 comments:
Thank you dear Erin for your faith and courage. You set an example for me. I know that our Heavenly Father is the architect of our life design. I know that His time is not our time..... but never the less, since our time is so limited, it is hard to be patient.
Meanwhile, keep up your positive outlook and faithful attitude. Since your family is all praying for you to be blessed with children,(Even little Claire remembers you each time she asks the blessing.)sooner or later, Heavenly Father is going to get tired of us pestering Him and send you a little one. I just know it.
Meanwhile, I'm taking good care of your doll children. I can't wait to give them to your little girl someday. I love you. Good luck on your trek. Mom
Hey Er-Bear,
You are wise beyond your years. It's true, there is a plan. It is just so hard to be patient enough to wait and find out what it is. Thanks for your example. We love you.
Erin -- Your posts are always so meaningful. You inspire me. Your thoughts remind me of my favorite quote.
"Patience is a willingness to watch the unfolding purposes of God with a sense of wonder and awe – rather than pacing up and down within the cell of our own circumstances." Neal A Maxwell
And you definitely show patience in all things.
Erin- You have amazing faith and patience. Whenever I feel impatient, I remember what waiting to get married did for me. I'm happier with this man than I would be with any of those other guys. When it was time...boy was it time. We got our miracles of amazing husbands and I know your other little miracles are waiting....for boy when it's time, it will be time and they'll jump into your arms. I just know it! (like you even need to hear this)
What faith you have! You are such an example to me. Thank you for being so open and sharing. My bro and Sis in Law struggles for several years. Their little boy is a little miracle and they are still struggling for more babies. Adoption is so awesome! Good luck, I will think/ pray for you!
I am so happy you consider adopting :) I am so against the whole "ask someone else to bear your baby" thing. I think it is so unfair because all of those children who do not have a family :(
I might be younger than you but I am so proud of you =)
I posted a comment on your mom's blog about adoption, and I'm sure you've heard it before from me, but... Adoption has changed my life forever, I'm so grateful for that gift! I went thru LDSFS, and the family I chose went thru the same thing as you... no definite reason why they couldn't get pg. But I also feel that I didn't really choose them, HF chose them for me, b/c there's no reason why I didn't choose one of the other 6 couples I could have. My couple was on the list for a while before they got the news they were getting a daughter. The mom was 34 when Natalie was born, and I think 37 when Katie came.
When I see their family pics now, they are truly meant to be together. I had no way of knowing my daughter would have strawberry-blonde hair, no one in my family does, and neither the bio-father nor his parents do. But I chose a family with a strawberry-blonde dad. I'm sad that they had to wait those long years for their first child, but I know it was all Heavenly Father's planning.
You and Patrick are awesome people, and will make amazing parents! Thanks for your inspiring posts, it's always a highlight in my day to read them!
(((HUGS)))
Erin, you are such an amazing woman. I am so blessed to know you and to be able to learn from your example. I know that you and Patrick will make great parents. I have no doubt about that.
I also wanted to thank you gain for being so willing to help me on Sunday. You really are so great! Thank you again.
So beautiful Erin - and you will be such a beautiful mom.
Makes me feel a bit guilty for yelling "Don't say "MOMMY!!!! MOMMY!!! anymore today!!" at my kids....I am not perfect..
I really hope that process is quick and smooth for you.
I can't think of any better parents. I'm thankful that you and Patrick are in our lives. What great expamples you are!
I can't think of any better parents. I'm thankful that you and Patrick are in our lives. What great expamples you are!
You amaze me with your faith and peace. I know that whenever and however you add to your family, it will not only be the right time, but that baby will also be the luckiest baby in the world. You and Patrick will be phenomenal parents--I have no doubt about it!
Erin, I will be praying for you and Patrick. It sounds like you are following Gods leading in this. I can only imagine how hard it has been for you both. I will pray that God will give you peace in your decisions to come.
Erin, I just love you. The more I know you, the more I love you. You are gonna be the best mom.
Wow. You know there is a child up there waiting to go to you. And they cannot wait. You are amazing! And that baby is so, SO, lucky.
perfectly said.
Post a Comment