Monday, June 16, 2008

Yummy-Yummy to my Tummy

I love to cook.
.
Love it!

When I cook I enjoy the process of making it just as much as I love eating it.
.
My cute mama was a Home Ec. teacher- so I grew up with my very own personal teacher and have enjoyed cooking my entire life.
.
I like to try a new recipe and if I love it, I stash it in my 3 ring binder that has become a very sloppy cookbook over the years.
.
I love my sloppy cookbook.
.
It's full of recipes ripped out of magazines, jotted down on the back of an envelope or printed from foodnetwork.com. One day I will make it look pretty and organized, maybe.

I can tell the recipes I especially love in my cookbook because they are speckled with grease stains or other various spots.

I will post some of my favorite recipes every once in a while.

As far as cookies goes, this is one of my favorite.

Peanut Butter with chocolate chunks- what's not to love...
.
~Peanut Butter Cookies~


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar(plus more later for sprinkling)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips
(I only had a big block of chocolate so I chopped it up and it worked great!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the chips.

Place sprinkling sugar on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crissscross pattern (I used a spoon to keep it smooth on top), but do not overly flatten cookies.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.


Because it's just the 2 of us I usually package some up to give away... otherwise, I would eat ALL of them! Sometimes I have extra dough and not enough time to cook it all. When that happens I like to lay it out on plastic wrap and roll it out like a thick snake... wrap it up, stick it in the fridge or freezer and voila it's ready to slice up and cook any time. BUT- most of the time when I do that I end up eating all the dough.

They are so, so good!

Enjoy!

PS... My amazing husband has been giving me photography lessons... thanks baby!

13 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

May I have some? They look so good. I can taste them right now with a glass of milk... I have plenty.... we were low on milk and pop and I both bought some so now we have 3 gallons on hand.

I have an idea!!!! Why don't you and Patrick pack up your cookies and come to our house??? It is easier for you to bring cookies than it is for us to bring milk. Can you be here by morning? Claire and Austin are here and they would like some too.... Well, I can dream anyway. LOL Mom

Becca said...

I was lucky enough to try some of these cookies,(aren't they packaged so cute) and I can back up Erin's assessment of them--FABULOUS!

Janae said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm always in need of new, good recipes!

Marie Rayner said...

Those cookies look great! I have a big blue binder that has travelled with me through all the years of being firat a new bride, then bringing up five children, all the way across Canada and back and now over the Atlantic ocean here to the UK. It is filled with tried and trues and many happy memories of much loved family members, wonderful friends and of course lots of tasty magazine clippings. It is one of my most treasured belongings next to my scriptures and family photo albums. It is truly priceless as I am sure you will find your binder to be one day!

Marie Rayner said...

ugh. that's supposed to read first a new wife. Note to self *spell check before hitting enter!

Tara said...

ohhhh those do sound good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. And those pics are awesome! Is your hubby a photographer?

Christine said...

That recipe sounds delicious! Maybe if I can get our air to work I'll try them out. Can I put the recipe in my book if I give you credit?

Anonymous said...

'Whats not to love' is right!! YUMO!

Packaging is so cute too!

Unknown said...

MMMMMMMM!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Yum! Can you figure out how we can each have a bite of one of those delicious cookies right through the computer screen??

Wendi said...

In the words of Rachael Ray...
YUM-O!

I will definitely have to try this recipe.
I love to cook too.
Sadly, I also love to eat.

I adore your mother, though I only know her through blogging.
She is amazing.
I remember the first time I saw her comment on my blog.
I was like...what?
huh?
A grandmother blogger?
I. love. it.
I always enjoy her comments on my posts.
Thanks again for stopping by my blog.
It was great to "meet" you.
I will be back.
I like it here.

Baak Talk said...

Erin,

Why can't you live next door? You do all the cooking and I'll happily come over and clean the dishes!
~Rebecca

Helen mdk said...

Mmmmm, they seem so yummy and tasty!! And you decorated them so nice =)
I love to cook to but when it comes to sweets, I become the worst pastry cook ever!

=)