Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Just put one foot in front of the other…

I love this picture.

I took this picture the first time I went to Ghana… all alone…

To me this picture was more to me than a pretty little scene. It became a metaphor of what I was doing.

The truth is, I wasn’t really sure what I was doing, but I knew I was on the right path. I could not see where the path was leading, but I had faith and just knew it was the right place for me to be at that time.

My sweet husband and I have now started down a new little path.

Yesterday we meet with the adoption agency we would like to use. They were kind, encouraging, and optimistic that we would be parents… often they have placed babies within 6 months.

As we left with a long list of things we need to do to begin the process, tears streamed down my face. She could already be out there… our birth mother. She could already be pregnant… this very minute.

I find myself praying for her… often.

“Please bless her with health.” “Please strengthen her in her decision of adoption” “Please let her know that we already love her.”

It’s so strange. I do love her. I have no idea who she is, but God does.

We have a long stretch of road out ahead of us.

But hand in hand, with each step, we are that much closer.

23 comments:

Tricia said...

Ok I can't even see what I'm typing through my tears!! If I knew my parents were praying for me like you are for your birth mom, it would have made a huge difference. I didn't even think about the parents wondering how I was even without knowing me! I just thought I was all alone until I picked someone! Be sure you put that in your Letter to Birth Mom!! That will be a killer to write, I'm sure, but you will know what to say and say it just right!! My prayers are with you and Patrick!!

Heather said...

She is out there and she is going to choose you!

Anonymous said...

*Excuse me while I grab a Kleenex.*

Being an adoptive mom to my son, I truely know how you are feeling. I'm sure you have an incredible family and friends to support ya. However, feel free to email me if you need to talk or vent about this process. It's a great ride... but also can be a long and bumpy one.
Having gone through it, I can try my best to give friendly directions.-- promise! :)

Grammy Staffy said...

Sweet daughter, I have faith that you and Patrick will soon be blessed with a baby. Surely some young mom will feel your great spirit and tender heart through your writings and will be inspired to pick you two to be the parents of her infant.

As always, our prayers are with you daily...actually several times a day. Much love, Mom

Becca said...

You are so amazing, your faith and prayers, and thoughts always touch me more than you will ever know. We'll keep you (and her) in our prayers too!

Unknown said...

The picture you posted really spoke to me. It shows what trust you have in the Lord. Only he knows the path you will travel on this journey of adoption. I am praying for you, the birth mom and your little one to come.

Annie said...

I absolutely adore you! You always have the most amazing things to say! I hope everything goes well with the process. My summer has been going pretty good, I had to say goodbye to my cousin today, so that was hard, but I will live :). I love ya!

Annie said...

p.s. with your amazing photography skills, you make those cookies look amazing! I think I'm hungry now....... :D haha.

hoLLy said...

hey erin! thanks for your comment today on my blog-that was so sweet. i love your mom(okay, so i haven't met her, but i love her. she is a sweetheart! you know that though:) its so funny how you can feel like you know someone by reading their blog. also, your blog is so cute! you and your husband are an adorable couple. i love your side pics too. it looks like guys love icecream as much as me and my hubby:) i also wanted to say good luck with the adoption process. i know someone will select you when the time is right(which is hopefully soon!). i know a couple of other people going through the same thing and one of them just received their new baby yesterday. its such a wonderful thing! prayers and best wishes~

angela said...

I will keep you and your husband in my prayers as you go through the adoption process. I love that the photo is such a great representation of your journey. I look forward to more updates.
Grace & peace.

Marie Rayner said...

My prayers are with you both Erin through this waiting process. It will be a wonderful day when you finally get to hold the wee one HF is going to give you in your arms instead of just in your heart! Wow! What am amazing thought! You are everything I wish I had been when I was your age. I didn't have the benefit of having the gospel in my life. My goodness but my life could have been so different if I had. Todd and I are not able to have any children of our own, which is a bit of a bummer, but then we are quite old now anyways. We do have two adopted children though that live in Africa. We adopted them through the child care agency called Compassion. We support a little girl(Paulina) in Tanzania and a little boy (Belaihu) in Ethiopia. We truly wanted to be able to make a difference in the world, and while it may seem like a small thing to do, it sure has made a difference in their lives, and God willing they will grow up and make a difference in other's lives as well!

Wendi said...

I came by to thank you for visiting my blog and "meet" you.
After reading just one post, not only am I glad to have "met" you, I feel inspired by you.

I love this line in your post:
"I wasn’t really sure what I was doing, but I knew I was on the right path. I could not see where the path was leading, but I had faith.." I also love the picture that accompanied it.

My prayers are with you and your husband. I can't wait to hear how this beautiful story ends.

Marla said...

We love you both so much. We pray for you and this process...thinking about you tons!

Janae said...

Our prayers are with you. What an exciting time! I just love reading your blogs. You have such a way with words and your great strength of spirit comes through so strongly that I'm always so touched by what you say. Thanks!

Kate said...

Congratulations! I will be praying for your birth mom and new baby also!! What an exciting path you have journeyed down!!!!

Kristi said...

Erin- There are no words! What a great family that baby is coming to!

Derrell said...

So, do you mind sharing what adoption agency you're working with? Maybe an email directly to me. I know two unmarried pregnant young women who are on the fence about what they will do with their babies.

Baak Talk said...

What a lucky little child! I've truly seen so many miracles in this process. Can't wait to watch this miracle and meet the sweet baby mcgibbon!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

God bless you as you keep on trekking down this path! And God bless the birth mom to your sweet baby, too!

The Snow Queen said...

Who'da known when we were all wearing stupid hats at camp that we would end up here? (Oh, that was only me in the stupid hat...)The way each baby comes to be with each family is a little miracle all on its own. The birth mom know when it's right and she will feel peace when Father testifies to her heart that the little baby was meant to be brought up in your family. What a selfless gift to give to a child, a family for ever!

Unknown said...

You are so sweet! And you will be the greatest mom! You were a wonderful "mom" at Timpview and in Ghana to me and I know you're the best auntie. I love you.

Annie said...

Erin, I love your darling blog. I especially loved this post. It really portrays all that you are - a hopeful, optimistic, brave, prayerful, thoughtful and faithful(?) person. I really am so happy and feel so blessed that I was able to have you as a teacher and spend a month in Africa with you. Love you! annie stewart

Lori said...

Oh Erin, you and your husband would be amazing parents. what a sweet thing. my sister and her husband just legally adopted their 3 kids (siblings) from ethiopia. they will be sealed as a family on july 26th. the girls are 9 and their brother is 6. the judge at their adoption said that those kids need my sister and her husband and that my sister and her husband need those kids. he said he could tell they were perfect for each other and loved each other so much. the girls got baptized this last sunday and the spirit was very strong. we are so happy to have them in our family. beautiful children.

i wish you the best and i know it will work out for you and Patrick. see you tonight at the temple.