Something strange is happening... It could be that lately Patrick and I have been getting episodes of Twilight Zone from the public library and watching them at night... it could be that yesterday was Friday the 13th... but anyway you look at it... something is going on.
I feel like I'm a pretty productive person. During the school year I have a consistent schedule. It's pretty much groundhogs day and I can stay organized.
But during the summer it's a whole different story. This was my first full week of summer~ being home doing all the chores on my wish list. My day goes something like this...
~Up by 7:30am
~Eat some breakfast with my honey
~Kiss him good bye.
And then it happens... I am sucked into a time warp. I am almost positive I am living my own private Twilight Zone (begin the creepy theme song in your head now).
After Patrick leaves something happens like this...
I go to clean up breakfast but need to go to the bathroom. I realize there is no toilet paper and instead go to the basement to our extra supply of T.P. When I arrive in the basement I see the chipped paint on the wall from when I put up a shelf last week. SO, I head to the garage to get some paint. Seeing the mess I left the paint in, I begin to straighten it up. I now have some garbage to throw away so I go outside to out garbage bin. What is this?? There are weeds springing up all around and I start to remove them with my bare hands~ ouch! I need my gardening gloves. I head to our shed and realize I'm still in my bathrobe and probably should be dressed while out in public. I head back into the house and of course realize that now I REALLY have to go to the bathroom. I go into the bathroom only to find that there is no toilet paper.
My entire day seems to go the same way.
It's now the end of the day...
Patrick just got home.
"Hi honey, what did you do today?"
But I don't know. My mind starts to wonder... what did I do today? I have been running around ALL day, not even stopping to eat... did I even take a shower?
Is it a time warp?
It's freaking me out... it's definitely...
The Twilight Zone
Family is the best!
7 years ago



20 comments:
It's not a time warp. It's not the Twilight Zone. It's just the life every stay at home woman leads. The kids where you feel like you were on the go all day long but have nothing to show for it. Welcome to the club!!
Seriously! I don't understand it! Somehow the does slips out from under you and you wonder... what the? What did I even do today? Wife-itis, homemaker-osis, the twilight zone, whatever you want to call it.. I know how you feel!
Thank you. I'm not the only one who does this. Even when I have a list I still get off on chore tangents. That's why I love it when Derek helps clean the house. He does miracles in minutes. While I have gotten distracted by some little thing I didn't even mean to start doing. Good luck with your list of jobs to get done. Maybe by the end of summer you will have something to show for it.
If you give a mouse a cookie . . .
This is my day, everyday. It's a wonder I actually accomplish ANYTHING!
That did my heart good to read your post! So glad to hear I'm not alone in The Zone. =)
Erin,
you should have your own column! You are a great writer! You are so entertaining and relatable at the same time.
Yes, I totally relate! I tell Danny all the time, the house, on the surface, may not look clean, but my baseboards are!
Lisa took my comment line.... I was all proud of my planned response about "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" but she beat me to it. Oh Well.
Too funny dear! Amazingly that is how my whole year has gone this year. I met with some of my old teaching friends a few days ago. They asked me what I've done during this school year while they were at work. I said....????.... ummm??? Now, I know that I've must have done something other than blog(since you only started me on that 3 months ago) but I just can't pin point what?????? Does making 5 trips to Utah count???
Erin, how do I get rid of the letters that people have to type in on my blog comments? I want to have it like yours where they only have to click and send.
Educate your old mama
Boy, does this sound familiar! Wait till the children come along- distractions will 10X worse! :o}
CORRECTION: distractions will BE 10X worse. hee hee-- I hate that.
-Would ya believe I was an English teacher for years? ;)
I remember reading this about old men.
um 100 ditto to what everyone else has said! The thing is, I crash every night so exhausted and think...hmmm what did I do today?
I'm cracking up! I've definitely had those days.
Thanks for this post, Erin. I'm not alone. I thought I was the only one who was so easily distracted. :) It just feels like there's so much to do that I can't focus on one thing at a time. I think it's my need to multi-task. I'm working on it, but it's helpful to know that it's not just me anyhow.
Oh this is so me...so my life...
You wrote it perfectly!! Miss you!
That is hillarious! Wait till you have some kids running around...then you can at least blame it on "mommy brain".
When I was teaching I was super organized all the time...and my summers were very similar...bathrobe and all...now I'm a stay at home mom, it's a daily battle, I mean choice, to be organized. Oh, now please excuse me while I put away the laundry that's been clean and folded for three days. :o)
hey...
i got your message. email me and we'll chat.
therhouse@gmail.com
much love,
mrs. r
I found your page through Grammy Staffy's page. I can so relate to feeling like you are in a twilight zone from time to time. It used to be like that alot when I was raising my five kids, and I remember thinking that one day they would grow up and things would be different, but uh uh . . . I am still living in the twilight zone, only now I miss my companions dreadfully!
Erin, your day sounded so similiar to some I have had lately!
Erin, your day sounded so similiar to some I have had lately!
Post a Comment