Saturday, May 10, 2008

And for that, I am thankful…

I am sitting at the computer unable to stop my tears.

Not because I’m sad, but because I feel so incredibly blessed.

And for that, I am thankful.

I came home from school today after a long, busy week and my sweet husband had a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me.. with a new bottle of perfume and a very sweet card. All I could do was stand there in the kitchen and hug him so tight as tears rolled down my cheeks.

And for that I am thankful.

It is an early Mother’s Day gift, because tomorrow I am leaving at 5 a.m. to go to the airport. I will take a 17 hour flight to a land I love, to a people I love, to Ghana.

And for that I am thankful.

My tender husband has been so supportive of me going on this trip, a trip that will be different than the past 5 trips I have made to Ghana. This trip will not include endless hours of playing with large groups of adorable deaf children that tug on every inch of my body- in an effort to have a one on one glance.

This trip will include a week of meeting many important people that have a lot of influence on the education for the deaf in Ghana. We have a chance to explain some of the programs we have set up in one area of that beautiful country. Our hope is that the educational leaders will see the value of what we are doing and will promote the use of sign language in the classroom. After all, the students are deaf.

I’ll explain more later…

I feel so blessed to have my dear friend, Kristi spend hours helping me put together a curriculum we can present to these important people. Lessons, to be taught that will give teachers the opportunity to learn sign language to use with their deaf students. Currently, there are no formal sign language classes offered.

I feel so blessed to have a group of people going with us who can make a difference here in the United States and help us spread the word of the needs of the deaf in Ghana.

I will be honest, I'm nervous… With all my heart I want this trip to go well… not for my own benefit, but for the benefit of these sweet children who deserve more, so much more. What if we don’t say the “right” things? I want us to be a voice for these deaf children and I pray that we can do them justice.

But all I can do is prepare and pray… a lot.

My tears are tears of joy, of thanksgiving.

And I am so thankful.

http://www.signsofhopeinternational.org/

13 comments:

Shannon said...

Erin you are amazing! Good luck, I will keep you and those little ones in my prayers.

And what a darling husband to be so organized that he had gifts ready for you before you left. What a great guy.

Kristi said...

You made me cry just reading this. We will be praying for you and those sweet children. With all the miracles that have happened with you and Ghana since the beginning, one can be sure the Lord is very, very aware and will soften hearts and open minds.
What a sweetie husband you have!

Becca said...

That was so sweet. You are so amazing and the students in Ghana are so lucky to have you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you are gone this week! Good luck with your meetings and I hope everything goes well.

Cathy said...

you have such a wonderful husband. you guys are so cute together.

Good luck on your trip! I will keep you in my preyers.

Mandy said...

I just checked out your Signs of HOpe website. What a wonderful service you are doing! You're really are so blessed to be involved in such a great cause. I'll pray for you that things will go well and that they will see the benefit of what you are trying to do.

Grammy Staffy said...

Good luck sweetheart. I wish you the very best. I will pray for you morn and night (and during the day). I am always glad when you are back home but I am happy for the good work that you are doing in Africa. God Bless dear daughter.
Love, Mom
p.s. I posted a picture of the flowers you sent on my blog. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

You are so amazing! Good luck in Ghana!!! I will pray for you. :)

JoElle said...

You are so incredible. You are doing such an amazing thing there in Ghana. Best of luck.

Shannon said...

Tag you're it...check out my blog, I don't think you have done this one yet. I would love to know about a few of your little quirks.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Have a great trip! Those children are lucky there in an Erin in this world!

Silvija said...

Hey there Erin,

It took me a while to figure out how to post a comment to your blog through your mom's, but I finally did!

I am so incredibly lucky to have known you all your life, as you have turned out to be such an amzing woman! I still remember the day several years ago when you were sitting at my computer trying to figure out how you could get a passport in a few days so you could run off to Africa for the first time. And to have the privilege of taking photos at your wedding open house was a treasured time for me (to be a fly on the wall, so to speak!)

You are truly blessed to have the husband you have, the mother you have (as I am blessed to have her for a best friend!), and all the rest of your wonderful family. Not many in this world can say they have so many blessings. Know that I love you and keep you in my prayers.

Helen mdk said...

I am very happy for you :)
I mean, its so difficult to be happy with your life today but you arent just happy, you are blessed and thankful :)

:)

Annie said...

I hope you are having the best time in Africa. Wish we could have come with you. I tagged you. (to understand, go to my blog) Love you! See you in class!