I am a very simple person.
.
I feel like the Lord knows me so perfectly and is so patient with my shortcomings. He teaches me in a simple way that has a deep impact on my life and how I look at things. These are just everyday things, everyday experiences, that for me become a parable to learn from.
These learning moments seem to come at the perfect time, to present the perfect lesson just for me. And it seems, for a time, it is all I can think about- as it sinks into my soul and teaches me the perfect lesson.
Last week while visiting family in Kentucky Marla, my sister-in-law, relayed this story to me and it has been on my mind ever since…
This is Gracee…


She’s 5 years old and is a ball of energy, a genuine spit-fire! She is so full of life and I truly believe her ultimate goal at any given moment is to be in the spot light and make others laugh. Gracee will sometimes go to the extreme, a bit on the mischievous side, even risking a possible “timeout” session to bring humor to an on-looker.
The other day Marla (her mother) was busy cleaning up the house and suddenly realized that it was much too quiet. Knowing her mischievous-ness Marla decided she better find out what Gracee was up to.
After a thorough search, Marla was surprised to find Gracee in her room, under the covers of her bed, sobbing. She lifted the covers to find Gracee curled up in a little ball.
“Gracee, honey, what’s the matter?”
Through her sobs Gracee struggled but finally said,
“You won’t love me any more after you find out what I did.”
This really concerned Marla, knowing Gracee and all that she is capable of doing.
“Gracee, tell mommy what you did and I can help you.”
Reluctantly, Gracee lead her mother into the bathroom that connected to her bedroom. Marla quickly put together the full story by the scene that laid before her.
There was a bottle of nail polish that had obviously been spilled on the counter top with gobs of toilet paper which apparently only aided in smearing the polish around the entire sink area. Nail polish fingerprints also covered the entire area, including the soap dispenser and the faucet. Gracee had made a huge mess and did her very best to clean it up… but her best just wasn’t enough.
Marla pulled out the nail polish remover and together (with a lot of work) had the mess all cleaned up.
I could visualize Gracee… in the bathroom excited to girl-ify herself with some cute pink polish, which I must mention she was allowed to use in the bathroom. But in a split second everything went wrong. Trying her best to fix the problem, she only saw the problem grow. With every attempt, it became worse and worse until she realized it was no use and all she could do was hide under the covers and sob.
Had she called to her mother at the beginning she could have saved herself so much anxiety and sorrow.
As Marla relayed this story to me I felt instantly connected to little Gracee and her struggle. This little girl, so independent, could not solve this problem on her own.
How many times in my life have I “spilled some nail polish” and couldn’t figure out how to clean it up myself? Frantically, I work to fix the problem only to find that all attempts have been in vain?
Why do I sometimes feel the urge, like Gracee, to “hide under my covers”, not wanting to expose my inadequacies to my Father in Heaven and my Savior? Am I also afraid that He will no longer love me when I admit that I have fallen short? Do I truly believe that He can make me what I need and want to be?
I can just imagine a loving Heavenly Father, looking on, whispering to me, “Erin, ask for help. I love you and I am here, just ask.”
Our “nail polish spill” could be any challenge in life…
These learning moments seem to come at the perfect time, to present the perfect lesson just for me. And it seems, for a time, it is all I can think about- as it sinks into my soul and teaches me the perfect lesson.
Last week while visiting family in Kentucky Marla, my sister-in-law, relayed this story to me and it has been on my mind ever since…
This is Gracee…
She’s 5 years old and is a ball of energy, a genuine spit-fire! She is so full of life and I truly believe her ultimate goal at any given moment is to be in the spot light and make others laugh. Gracee will sometimes go to the extreme, a bit on the mischievous side, even risking a possible “timeout” session to bring humor to an on-looker.
The other day Marla (her mother) was busy cleaning up the house and suddenly realized that it was much too quiet. Knowing her mischievous-ness Marla decided she better find out what Gracee was up to.
After a thorough search, Marla was surprised to find Gracee in her room, under the covers of her bed, sobbing. She lifted the covers to find Gracee curled up in a little ball.
“Gracee, honey, what’s the matter?”
Through her sobs Gracee struggled but finally said,
“You won’t love me any more after you find out what I did.”
This really concerned Marla, knowing Gracee and all that she is capable of doing.
“Gracee, tell mommy what you did and I can help you.”
Reluctantly, Gracee lead her mother into the bathroom that connected to her bedroom. Marla quickly put together the full story by the scene that laid before her.
There was a bottle of nail polish that had obviously been spilled on the counter top with gobs of toilet paper which apparently only aided in smearing the polish around the entire sink area. Nail polish fingerprints also covered the entire area, including the soap dispenser and the faucet. Gracee had made a huge mess and did her very best to clean it up… but her best just wasn’t enough.
Marla pulled out the nail polish remover and together (with a lot of work) had the mess all cleaned up.
I could visualize Gracee… in the bathroom excited to girl-ify herself with some cute pink polish, which I must mention she was allowed to use in the bathroom. But in a split second everything went wrong. Trying her best to fix the problem, she only saw the problem grow. With every attempt, it became worse and worse until she realized it was no use and all she could do was hide under the covers and sob.
Had she called to her mother at the beginning she could have saved herself so much anxiety and sorrow.
As Marla relayed this story to me I felt instantly connected to little Gracee and her struggle. This little girl, so independent, could not solve this problem on her own.
How many times in my life have I “spilled some nail polish” and couldn’t figure out how to clean it up myself? Frantically, I work to fix the problem only to find that all attempts have been in vain?
Why do I sometimes feel the urge, like Gracee, to “hide under my covers”, not wanting to expose my inadequacies to my Father in Heaven and my Savior? Am I also afraid that He will no longer love me when I admit that I have fallen short? Do I truly believe that He can make me what I need and want to be?
I can just imagine a loving Heavenly Father, looking on, whispering to me, “Erin, ask for help. I love you and I am here, just ask.”Our “nail polish spill” could be any challenge in life…
It could be something we did wrong, it could be something we just aren’t doing right, it could be a struggle we are going through that we just don’t understand. Regardless, it can only be fixed up by our dear Savior and his infinite power to heal and to bring the peace and assurance that everything will be alright... we just have to believe and trust in Him.
"Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief"
Mark 9:24
A sweet lesson can be learned from a little spilled nail polish.
A sweet lesson can be learned from a little spilled nail polish.



15 comments:
i like your post its wonderful
That was so sweet, it made me cry. You are so right--sometimes all we need to do is ask for help!
Thank you so much for posting this story. What a neat parable! This is so appropriate for me right now. Thanks for your testimony.
What a perfect parable. I can just see our Gracee going through this and getting deeper and deeper in trouble as she was trying so hard to fix the problem.
I will try to remember your parable as a life lesson. Thank you dear daughter for having such faith and insight. I love you. Mom
You made me cry! You've always been good at finding life lessons in little things. I still remember the "Bee" parable. What a great gift that is!
First, i really want to hear this "bee" parable that kkwikins is talking about and second, do you remember that day when i came to you for help to give the devotional in seminary one morning? do you remember what you did? You handed me and ore... yes, you had an ore in your classroom and told me a fabulous "ore" parable which i shared with my class... simple... yet life changing!
thanks
P.s. i thought of the title to the second book you will write... Life's Every Day Parables by Erin McGibbon :)
Oh, that too made me tear up. It reminds me of my little girls and the lessons they have taught me as well. I loved the parable. So perfect. I also love that Marla, being the ever loving mama, just took her and helped her. Not a stern word or look. And that speaks volumes about the kind of mother she is.
What sweet insight you were blessed with. I love those moments where the gospel comes to life in everyday situations.
I love this parable! We all have our talents, and clearly this is just one of yours.
I love the new look of your blog and I also really enjoyed that story - very well written.
Erin, I have come back to this and re-read this so many times this week. Especially the heartache of the last few days. Everytime I get to the scripture at the end, I burst into tears. We just don't know sometimes, but He will help us in our "unbelief". Today I think you wrote this just for me. Thank you. I love you.
so sweet Erin. I'm going to have to start reading your blog now too! BTW - I love the look of your blog!
I love your new layout! And Your thoght, thanks for sharing.
I went from giggles to tears..
giggles from your stalker comment to me :-D
Tears when I read through this post...
When I thought of the anguish Marla must have personally felt that her daughter would fear her so.. then the revelation of applying that to our view of God. Wow.
I think that everything boils down to our view of ourselves and if we see ourselves the way God sees us.
Which is also a good parenting reminder... do our children know how we truly see them?
I could go on and on ;-) I'll stop! Thanks for stopping by my blog and the comments anyhow! I hope you come back to visit and I'll be subscribing to yours.. hope to hear more about the future and all God brings! :-)
Awww, she tried to clean it up :))
Well, it is so good that she trusts you and she doesnt try to lie etc.. And her sister helped her to choose the right thing to tell you :)
Both of them sound very bonded and you must be very proud of them :)
ps. You are soooooo pretty in the photo of the previous post with your girls! :D
ps2. I love Sia's song "Breathe me" :)
Post a Comment