Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pine Wood Derby... Girlie Style

I work with the young women in our ward and love it. About a month ago we decided it would be fun to have a pine wood derby, typically reserved for the Cub Scouts. All of us received a kit to build our own car. I looked at that block of wood and put it aside, not having a clue how to begin.

When Patrick saw the pine wood derby box he could hardly contain himself. What is it with boys and the Pine Wood Derby? I think it's something attached to that Y chromosome. He asked if I would like help and I gladly accepted!
He sanded it down to get the perfect shape he wanted...
Spray painted it to perfection...
And drilled holes in the bottom to add extra weight, exactly 5 ounces.
I added some fun daisy stickers to make it extra girlie and it was perfect!
The night came and it was the moment of truth. I pulled out my car and the girls soon nick-named it "Daisy" which I loved. There were several rounds and each time my little car came in first place. At first I acted casually happy about it, but by the end I was jumping up and down cheering my little car to victory. At last, it was the final race. The top 3 cars racing for the gold. We lined up our cars and off they went. I ended up with the third place prize which I was thrilled to get, considering the two girls that outraced me come from a long line of Pine Wood Derby champion brothers. Third place out of 19 was awesome!! We had a great time!
Thank you, Patrick! It was AWESOME!







14 comments:

Kristi said...

How fun is that! I want to try one!

Shannon said...

What a great idea. I wished I would have thought of that while working with the young women. We had a pinewood derby with Derek's family at a reunion. It is fun to race those little cars and the boys of all ages take it so seriously. Well Congratulations to Daisy....what a car! Did Patrick pick out the paint for you?

Grammy Staffy said...

Congrats to Daisy and Patrick. What a fun idea. E.J did well in his pinewood derby. Ernie helped him make the best looking car at the race. You two will have to race the next time you come down. However, E.J. might feel badly if he got beat by a girly car. Love ya, Mom

Lynell said...

Cute car!! I am going to tell our Young Women's leaders about your fun idea. What fun Ü

Marla said...

When we were first married our Student Married Ward did a Pinewood Derby...I also thought it was interesting to see the men take this competition SO seriously! Dave's car did NOT win, but he did drill a hole in his hand trying to make it. Still has the scar.

Heather said...

sooo cute! Erin you look like one of the young women! 30's are looking mighty nice on you!

Grammy Staffy said...

Hi gal,
I like your new layout and the picture of you and Patrick by your name.

Lynell said...

hey Erin i'ts Johnny your car was way fast! when you asked me if Lonica shared this blog with me the answer is nope . If she is going to get one she is going to have to make her own. Well your car was really fast best of luck see ya.

Lynell said...

hey erin, i have a cool blog.
http://lonicadancer.blogspot.com/

I love you

Unknown said...

Hey, this is Eliza Baird. Camy told me you have a blog so I found it. This looks like fun, I've never seen a pine wood derby before. :) Have a good one.

Emma Staffanson said...

Is that you saying I won?

Erin said...

Yep, that was my voice in the video. It was a fun night!

And about the paint... I picked out the bubble gum pink color as well as the daisy stickers. You can't tell from the picture, but I also sprinkled it with glitter. I felt like I could hear that little block of wood crying out in disgust as it became "girlified".

Lynell said...

hey Erin it's me the gymnast I was wondering if you could send me a c.d. of me on all of the events so I can put them on my blog. I love you so much. talk to you soon. Johnny

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Your car puts those boy scouts to shame!

It was fun to hear from you. Adam always comments how lucky our baby Henry is to have three older sisters like "Dave did." I think he is convinced that Henry will grow up eating nothing but cookies because that's what Dave did! Funny how Adam saw it.