Wow, with the end of the school term nearing, it seems like I have been busier than normal. And on top of that every night for the past couple of weeks there has been something, a meeting, an activity for Church, working on this or that blah, blah, blah... We don't even have kids and I seem to be busy all the time!
Well, as you can imagine, St. Patrick's Day is a highly honored holiday at our house. For years Patrick has had a party to celebrate his Irish heritage as well as the "coolness" of having a holiday with his name in it. Last year we had a big party and invited several friends we had not seen in a long time. It was a lot of fun.
This year, time got away from us and on Friday I realized that we had not planned a darn thing. A pre-St. Patrick's Day party on Saturday would be out of the question. What to do? I thought it over and with St. Patrick's day falling on a Monday, tying it into a Family Home Evening seemed like just the right idea. My mom had given us lots of cute green decoration so we were set! (thanks Mom, they were perfect!)
We invited a couple of families from our ward and had a really fun time! Patrick gave a great lesson on how we should be thankful for our blessings, and when you consider all we have, it is worth more than a pot of gold. We all colored some of our favorite blessings into a cartoon pot of gold and shared them with each other... here are some of my favorites...
I'm thankful for my family... Adam age 3
I'm thankful for Jesus and my bunk bed... Ben age 4
I'm thankful for the Temple... Madeline age 6
I'm thankful for toilets... Christopher age 8 (amen!!)
I'm thankful for hamburgers... Andrew age 8
I'm thankful for The Strength of the Youth... Johnny age 12 (a recent deacon!)
There were many other wonderful blessings listed and yep, I would agree these things are worth more than a pot of gold!
We are SO incredibly blessed!
Following the lesson we decorated sugar cookie shamrocks with lots and lots of frosting. I ate way too many!
We were so thankful to share our St. Patrick's Day in a different way than ever before!



7 comments:
What a fun way to celebrate. And that sounds like a great FHE lesson. I had never thought about Patricks celbrating St. Patricks day. That's Joel's middle name...I should find out if he feels especially fond of the day. Anyway cute cookies and happy St. Hubbies Day to you!
Hello Dears,
I'm glad that you used the St. Pat's day stuff I gave you. It looks like a fun party. What a cute idea for family night.
Erin I think I lost my picture by my name and I don't know how to get it back. Remind me how to do it. Lots of love, Mom
Never mind....my picture turned up again. I was having trouble with it. Maybe that is a hint that my comments are better without my picture....hum...I'll have to think about that. Luy Ya, Mom
We had so much fun last night! It was so sweet of you to invite us over and we can't wait to hang out again. Thanks so much for all the time and effort you put in to it--my kids think you are really cool!
Hey Erin that was a great way to spend St. Patrick's day! I bet those sugar cookies were delicous. Wis I could have been there. I bet it was a blast. check in my blog soon. I'm writing another one it's about starting school again. dadada. love ya. Johnny
P.S on the word wis it's supposed to be wish.(haha) bye
This looks like a lot of fun -- I have never had ANY St. Pat's traditions. Not growing up and I have never done anything significant with my kids. Maybe you should come out next St. Pat's day????!!! That's a good tradition! Ha!
Post a Comment