Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"ARG... arg... arg!!!"

Have you ever done something so dumb that all you can do is shake your head in disbelief? Not a moment of “I probably shouldn’t do this”, but outright, unknowingly, absolute DUMBNESS.

Let me explain:

Yesterday, while getting a few last minute things ready for our little St. Paddy’s Day get-together, I decided it would be a great idea to add an Irish CD to our i-pod. We bought this i-pod when we got married and it had ALL of our favorite music, easily over 1,000 songs, and probably 12 of our favorite movies. We had a playlist for EVERYTHING… fun music, travel music, workout music, calm music, church music, lovey music, rock out music, musicals, oldies, 80’s favorites, classical, the list goes on and on and on… We had collected our music from all over and loved having such a variety of music at our fingertips. It is constantly playing in our home.

SO…

As I was running around the house, I popped the CD into the computer and began to download it to i-tunes. What… it wants to install some updates? Oh bother, OK. I click “install” and again walk away from the computer…

I return.

What? A second step? I don’t have time for this tech-ie bologna! I notice a second option below the install button that says “restore”. Hmm, I would like to restore my i-pod to it’s original setting, meaning BEFORE I started this silly install. Sure, let’s restore. A window pops up asking me something and WITHOUT reading it AT ALL I push it… come on, let’s get this show on the road already!! Again walking away from the computer.

Again… I return.

This time something is different, very different, wrong, very wrong. My eyes widen, my jaw drops, I literally put my hands to my cheeks and began to mumble something inaudible that quickly becomes something intelligent like, “no…. no…. oh please no… no, no, no, no… PATRICK!!!"

Long story short (too late) our i-pod has been wiped clean, as if it were brand-spakin’ new. I’m sorry Patrick. Not wanting to use up the hard drive on our computer I had VERY LITTLE stored in our i-tunes library. Gosh… stupid, stupid, stupid….

I had to leave the office to finish things up, but every other minute I would just freeze and shake my head in disbelief… dumb, dumb, dumb….

My moments of retardation are generally when I’m in a hurry, rushing around trying to be extra productive…

LIKE…

the time I found a perfect parking spot in a very crowded parking garage, of course running late for something extremely important, rounding the corner to snatch it up and managing to overlook a GIANT pole that stood in my way. It scraped the entire passenger side of my car. Lame, lame, lame…

OR…

the time I was running late, (this is becoming an embarrassing theme) and literally hopped into the shower pulling the glass shower door closed before I completely stepped inside, catching the back of my heel, making a slash and removing about 3 inches of skin, watching the blood fill up the shower, feeling the need to throw up and/or pass out, and (literally) turning green. Patrick carried me around for several days. Arg, arg, arg

I am learning that my time saving techniques are not very productive…

What is a girl to do?

Our house was freakishly quiet tonight... sigh.

10 comments:

Marla said...

Oh Erin...I am sorry about the iPod - I am sick about it for you.

How about the time I sent David's Blackberry through a complete cycle in the washing machine? I saw it at the bottom and sat there going , "NO...no...no...not that..." I understand the "freakishly quiet" comment, because Dave didn't speak the whole night after that.

Heather said...

I so can relate! You are speaking my dialect. I am so sorry!

Lynell said...

I am so sad for you. Even we are going to miss the fun music from you ipod. Have you heard anything from Ron? Let me know. Love you

Amy Girl said...

Painful!

Shannon said...

What an awful moment when you realized what had happened. I have been there too. Not the iPod but with other stuff, usually when I'm tired. Like last night Corbin crawled in bed with me around 3 and had a horrible cough. I got up and accidentally gave him regular NyQuil instead of the kid stuff. So instead of going back to bed I waited on the line for Poison Control. He's fine and not the least bit hung-over today (smile).

Grammy Staffy said...

I'm sorry dear. That is so frustrating. Too bad!! We've all done dumb things like that and know how awful it feels. Will you be able to get the music back? I hope so. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I remember hearing about the shower incident-yucky.

Kristi said...

Oh so sorry! I just washed Kevin's cell phone...however good things do come cause now we both have new blackberrys...blackberries.
I remember being in the back seat of your car when we hit the pole. Shouldn't you get "oops" saving help when you're going to the temple! :-)

Camy and Jimmy said...

Well, i would go off about how sorry i am about your silly mistake with your ipod, but i decided instead to go off on how i can help... You, Me, ipod, ASAP... i'll give you everything you need chica! Love ya :)

Mandy said...

I just had to tell you that I love the music you chose for your playlist! You have great taste in music. I'm sorry you lost all that time amd effort you spent I can be a major scatterbrain sometimes, so I can relate. I think it's just natural for us girls to try to do too many things at once.