Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Mother's Love

Dear Mary,

We have never met, but every year at this time we sing countless songs about you. I carefully place a figurine of you in the center of my precious nativity, with baby Jesus directly in front of you.

I have often wondered how you could endure riding on the back of a donkey, 9 months pregnant, so many miles as you and Joseph traveled to Bethlehem. It must have crushed you to realize you would bring the Savior of the world, into the world in a lowly stable.

This year, as a new mother, I have thought about you a lot more. I feel like I have gained new perspective and understanding as to a mother’s love. Everyday I pray for guidance to be the best mother to my son. Am I being the best mother I can be? Am I teaching him the things he needs to know? Do I have the Spirit strong enough in my heart to teach him how to feel it? Will I be able to instill in him the power of prayer? Will I be able to teach him the things he needs to know to be a responsible, kind, loving adult?

As I snuggle my little boy and dote on his every move my thoughts have gone to you during this Christmas season. I’m sure that each ‘coo’ from your little one pleased you with delight. I’m sure you sang him countless lullabies. I’m sure you prayed for strength to raise him in a way that was pleasing to the Lord. Did you know all that your son would be required to bear? Even, knowing that he was the Son of God, could you comprehend at the time all that meant to every living person that would ever walk earth?

I feel the responsibility to raise my little one in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. I cannot even begin to comprehend the weight of your task… to know that you were raising your little one to save every member of mankind as long as they accept Him and the sacrifice He made for them.

I love you and appreciate you in a whole new light.

Thank you for sharing your son with the world.

What an honor it is to celebrate His birth.

1 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

Sweet Erin,
Your insight and tender heart never cease to amaze me. You are a precious daughter of God. Thank you for this beautiful post. You touch my heart more than you know. I love you dear. Mom