My brother was born when I was 3 years old. I don't really remember much about him joining our family... because I don't remember my life before he arrived.
But, still to this day I have a very vivid memory of my baby brother- something that was quite difficult for my young mind to grasp... his age.
I had just turned 3 right before he was born... and a few months later I was still 3. But his age was changing all the time. He was a month, then 2 months, 3 months etc. and I was still only 3 years old.
A three year old has no concept of time, so the fact that his age was changing seemed a bit confusing to my little girl mind. I thought it a bit unfair that he was having "birthdays" so often... and I was still only THREE.
Well, today our little guy had a "birthday" celebration of his own.
Today he is one month old. A whole month!
Someone asked me the other day if the new-ness had worn off yet. To be completely honest everyday still feels like a new day... our first trip to the store, our first walk around the neighborhood, his first time to squirt mommy twice while being changed. Everyday has brought something new and we LOVE it.
Here are some of our favorites in his first month of life:
- Cal LOVES bath time. He kicks and smiles the whole time, even when I wash his little face.
- Cal loves us to sing to him. He is rarely fussy, but if he's having a hard time we just start singing to him and he calms right down. Last night I sang to him for about 20 minutes straight and he just starred at me until he drifted off to sleep.
- He also loves story time. The other day I was telling him a story and he "listened" intently the entire time.
- He is constantly making silly faces. Sometimes we think he can understand us because his facial expressions match so perfectly. For example, when we say something goofy he rolls his eyes or he'll smile when we tell him how cute he is. The other day he was so sleepy but still had his eyes open so I told him that he could go to sleep... instantly he closed his eyes and fell asleep. He just makes us smile.
- He has become quite aware of his little hands. We have seen him push his pacifier back into his mouth several times or he will put his hand over his eyes to block out the light.
- We LOVE the little noises he makes while he's drinking his bottle- adorable!
- He HATES to have his nose cleaned out, but hey, who wouldn't? Daddy is our designated nose sucker-outter. Cal screams until the second it is over and then calms right down... he is very forgiving!
- Cal LOVES to be held and snuggle. We have family nap time almost every day. :)
- We love when he flairs his nostrils.
- He loves to be swaddled at night, but he is becoming quite the escape artist!
- He is a great sleeper. In fact, Patrick has tried to wake him up several times to play and could not do it.
- His hair is still nice and thick- he hasn't lost any of it yet.
- He makes us smile all the time and we love that we can start to see a glimpse of his cute personality.
"Happy birthday" little guy!
We love you SO much and look forward to being with you everyday!
Our sweet friend Marta took some ADORABLE pictures of Cal for us. You can check them out at her blog: More Than Memories Photography. Scroll down to find him.



13 comments:
the "newness" never wears off. There is always something new, at every stage of life (even 14). Although, admittedly, they might not be such endearing qualities.
However, no matter how old they get, you remember those endearing little things (especially when they're sleeping) and it keeps you sane!
So happy for you. Would love to meet him sometime. Let me know if you come to CAL.
Erin, I loved reading about all the little things you have been blessed to experience with Cal in this first month. The time has sure gone fast! It seems like just yesterday that I was thanking our Heavenly Father for this wonderful blessing in your lives! Those pictures are so adorable. I am so very happy for you all. I think God chose the best parents ever for little Cal!
PS - Happy One Month Birthday Cal!!
Tears. Still. I don't know if I will ever be able to stop crying when I think about you guys as a family. It's simply perfect.
Nick and I were just talking about him being a month, and we can't believe that it has already been that long! It seems like you guys have had him forever :)
Pictures are adorable!
I'm so glad you have this opportunity to feel this joy! It's greater than anything!
Happy Birthday little Cal!
What a precious post.
What a precious babe.
What a precious mom.
What a precious daughter.
I love Marta's pictures.... and I love you. Have another great day with our little love, CAL. XOXO Mom
Happy first month birthday, cute Cal!!!! i need to meet you some day.
Happy birthday!
The photos are fabulous!
We are extremely happy for your family! Words just don't express it.
Enjoy Mother's Day! I guess everyday is mother's day for you.
Hi this is Amanda i just love the little things right love amanda
The pictures are beautiful! I love his red hair! I love each little milestone,each are so fun and exciting. Ember is playing with things now and she talk/sings alot, I love hearing her little voice. I know you are enjoying each little moment with him. I am sending you a little something so check your mail next week.
Baak talk is right the newness never wears off. It's a thrill even the fourth time around. Lily is telling me "NO" now. It's hard not to smile and laugh because she's so cute. Smiling and laughing don't make very good discipling though.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY ERIN!!!!
Post a Comment