Patrick is amazing... for those of you that know him, know that he is incredible with dates and remembering special events. Often people joke that it is the man that forgets anniversaries and birthdays- but not my guy. In fact, I have to ask him to help me remember certain things. He knows the date we first met, the date of our first kiss, the list goes on.
Today is a very important date and I have to admit, I totally forgot. On this day, three years ago, the appearance of my left hand changed forever. That's right, February 2, 2006 Patrick asked me to be his wife.
We had looked at rings and even picked one out, but they told us that it would take 2 weeks to have it sized. So I knew that our 'official' engagement would have to wait a bit... at least I thought.
Patrick is an amazing photographer and has taken seasonal pictures of the same waterfall... Spring, Summer, Fall... only the Winter season was missing. SO, on February 2nd he invited me to join him up the canyon to get the shot.
It was freezing and there was tons of snow but it was perfect conditions. We carried up the tri-pod and his camera bag was on his back. He got it all set up and then asked me if I could get him a different lens from the bag. As I opened the bag I saw a box from the jewelery store. I
couldn't believe it. As I turned around, there he was on one knee, in the
snow. "Erin, I love you, will you marry me?" He then pulled out a beautiful rose he had been hiding in his jacket.
.
There was lots of kissing and several giggles. He gave me a piggy back ride back down the snowy path. All I could do is squeeze his neck and stare at my beautiful ring. We made some phone calls to family, but then headed to Sundance for dinner at the Foundry Grill. There is no cell phone coverage there, so it was our own private time. We talked and talked and he told me how when he first moved to Utah he only had a bike and several times a week he would ride up to this waterfall. He thought it was so beautiful and would be the perfect place to someday propose. Today was that someday.This afternoon, Patrick asked me what I had in mind for dinner. When I gave him my planned menu he asked if I would be ok with something a little bit different... he knows me so well... I love surprises. He had made reservations at the Foundry Grill in Sundance. How Romantic!
The food was incredible and we enjoyed our table by the fire place.
The night we got engaged one of my students was working the deli counter right out the restaurant. I introduced her to Patrick and showed her my ring. She gave us hugs and then gave us a free sucker. So now it is a tradition... every time we eat there we have to get a sucker. Yum!
I love you so much Patrick. Thank you for all you do and for being so thoughtful. You make life fun and meaningful. How blessed I am to have you as my man!



18 comments:
SUCH HAPPY FEELINGS! So happy the 2 of you found eachother! Much love your way and happiness!
Oh Erin, Patrick sounds like a wonderful man! I can't wait to meet you both! There is an older couple who were missionaries over here last year that live in Murray, which I hear is quite close to you. Would they be able to come over for a visit some time when I am there? It would be lovely to see them and I am sure you would all love them. Let me know, ok? Only 3 more sleeps!
That is the sweetest story and memory for you. I will always think of you when i see a sucker. the candy kind.
This is Amanda. HI and you are sweet love amanda
We are all blessed to have Patrick in the family. It makes my heart sing that the two of you have each other.... there never was a sweeter couple.
Love you both, Mom
I so remember the next day at school when you told us all! I was late for class and you kept texting me to see where I was! Ah hahaha I will never forget your cute lunge as you flung your cute little hand out to flash your ring for the class! Oh the excitement in that room of about 20 estrogen bodies and ALL of our favorite teacher! :-) You are so cute, congrats on 3 years!
What sweet memories! You've got such a romantic man!
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't hold back a couple tears as I read this. Patrick just makes everything special, doesn't he? Happy Engagement Day!
That was so sweet--you two really are the perfect couple! I'm glad we get to have you as friends.
Sounds almost like my engagement day! It was Feb 6. Stay tuned and I'll do a post. I am so jealous, i lovethe Foundry Grill, I'm so hungry. Loves me.
I'm a little behind in my blog reading. I've never heard that story before! Thanks for sharing. You are the luckiest girl, you and Patrick are wonderful.
What a great guy. I love when boys make plans all on their own and then to make that happy memory a wonderful day again is just adorable. I also love that you are so good at making traditions together...like the sucker, james deans grave, game days...you know what I mean. I think we need more little traditions at our house.
Sorry I've been such a bad commenter Erin...life is crazy for us right now!
But we all miss you! You and Patrick are just a dreamy couple. We love you both to peices.
Hug.Hug.
Wow that's Awesome! You're right! that is NOT your typical man! You two are so much fun!
-Becky Kelly
Erin, It was so nice to meet you and Patrick and you were so gracious to have Jen and I for dinner with Marie. I loved the food and would love to have the recipe. Hope all is well with you. Thanks again Jean
Erin, I love looking at you blog! (I hope that is o.k) Sounds like to me that you two are perfect for each other- an amazing man for such an amazing woman!!
This is Amanda. Happy valintins day. LOve amanda
Post a Comment