Early yesterday morning I woke up to a loud "poof" sound.
Honestly, I thought someone broke into our house. I listened intently for a few more minutes, snuggled up to my honey and drifted back to sleep.
We got up about an hour later and the house was cold, very cold. Patrick headed to the basement to investigate. You guessed it, our furnace had kaputt, nada, adios baby.
He called the repair man hoping to get some semi- good news such as we just needed a new little this or that to get it going again, but oh no... it would need to be replaced, completely. He could not fit us into his schedule that day but promised to be at our house early the next morning. What?? No heat?? It's 35 degrees outside!!
At 8am this morning we were thankful to hear the knock at our door. Right on time. They got right to work.
I headed to the gym this morning where it was nice and warm. I stayed longer than usual. Came home, took the HOTTEST shower possible and left again to some appointments I had scheduled. By the time I got home at 2pm it was snowing like CRAZY. I found Patrick bundled up in the office working. I turned on the space heater and this was the temperature of our house...
FORTY-NINE degrees!!! Now that's cold... much too cold for our little home.
.
After 33 hours from the time it broke, repairs are complete and our house is returning to a comfortable heat.
.
You know- every night, during the cold season, we thank Heavenly Father for a warm home to keep us safe from the cold. I am a little embarrassed to say that at times the words became trite. Tonight, however, we will feel an extra sense of gratitude... because for a while we "had not".
.
When I am in Ghana and have the opportunity to eat dinner with native families I am humbled by the prayers they offer on the food and for their families. "Our kind Heavenly Father, we are indeed thankful for thy goodness and providing us this food"... It is spoken with such sincerity, such respect, because they have had days that they have "had not".
.
A dear friend of mine in Ghana tells me stories about how his family could only afford to eat one meal a day. Or how when he was young his family could not afford to take him to the hospital when he had spinal meningitis... the illness that stole his hearing and left him completely deaf.
.
I have to admit, even though my family had very little as I was growing up... we rarely "had not".
.
I am incredibly thankful that we have heat in our home right now. And tonight, I will give my Heavenly Father a proper thanking for that. I am so thankful for all that we have.
.
It was very brief... but I am also thankful to have had a moment to "have not".



12 comments:
There really must needs be an opposition in all things!!
I find myself not as grateful as I should be until those "have not" moments. Which, I try to remember daily, are few and far between for me.
An attitude of gratitude is truly something to strive for!
This is Amanda. I love you blog i think it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo CUTE!!! OF couse well see ya love amanda
I remember coming home from Ghana and being grateful for running water. Even still I have moments when I turn on the faucet in the kitchen and am reminded of going to Mose's well and "bucketing" water for everything-bucket showers, bucket water that we boiled to do the dishes, bucket water that we washed our clothes with. Thanks for the reminder of how blessed we all are. Love you!
Well dear I am thankful that your heater is fixed too.... especially since I am spending the night with you and Patrick. I am glad that I don't have to freeze tonight.
All kidding aside, I think that all of us need to be thankful for many blessing that we often take for granted. Thanks for the reminder. I love you, Mom
Brrrr.... so glad that you managed to get your furnace fixed. You must have been soooooo cold!! I think it's good sometimes to do without just so that we can appreciate all the blessings we really do have and take so much for granted!! ((((hugs))))
I have to say Erin, that you are just the sweetest gal and you and Patrick are the most adorable couple and I so enjoyed spending time with you. I love you guys to pieces!! XXOO
Yikes Erin! I would've packed up and gone to a hotel - I am too wimpy! Glad it is fixed and you are warm!
Thank you. It puts all into perspective for sure! Enjoy the temple today.
Had I known I would have brought over our space heaters for you. Or you could have come and stayed in our spare room. I'm so sorry you had to freeze. Glad it got fixed!
We had a similar moment when we lived in Vegas. We came back from a visit in Cali in July to a house that was 95 degrees and the air was broken, we has no air for 4 days! I am very thankful for air and heat!
Oh Erin! How terrible to have no heat! It makes you appreciate what the pioneers went through - don't you think? I would have made a horrible pioneer!!!
49 degrees is painful! I am glad your house is warm now. Thanks so much for the wonderful dinner. It was so delicious. I really would love to get the recipe sometime!
XOXOXOXO
Jen
Isn't it interesting how just a little thing like that can help us to remember SO much and how we should be grateful for SO much?! I'm so glad you shared this, I really needed that and in time where I feel like my prayers could use a little more sincerity -this really helps! Thanks for always sharing your little tid-bits that seem to make life sweeter!
Brrr. Glad it is fixed. It sure is easy to take things for granted. Sometimes we all need a little wake up call. Love you
Post a Comment