His name is Ethan and he is about the cutest 6 year old I've ever met.
We have been buddies for a couple years. He comes over to my house occasionally to make cookies, do crafts and just hang out. One time he came over and Patrick had come home early from work... with the cock of his head and a look of concern on his face he asked, "Is he going to be here the entire time?" All kids LOVE to play with Patrick, but Ethan is my special friend.
Ethan is the best big brother.
His 4 year old brother was born with several challenges. Mason is blind, deaf, has a feeding tube, is unable to use his legs... among several other complications. Ethan's mom is amazing and cares for Mason and all of his many needs... until he gets sick and needs to be hospitalized. That's been happening a lot lately. But even then she is by his side to ensure that he is getting the very best care possible. Seriously, she is amazing.
I have had the chance to spend more time with Ethan the last few weeks. Today he come over with his baby brother. When I asked him what he wanted to do, with the same cock of the head and adorable facial expression he often possesses, he announced,
"I need to make a medal for Mason".
"A medal? How about another get well card like we made him last time?"
"No way," with a shake of his head, "today he totally deserves a medal."
"And what would the medal be for?"
With a look of pure pride he announced, "Mason is amazing at going to the hospital. Pretty much the best that I know. He has been so many times and he never complains. He's so patient with the doctors checkin' him all the time. Yeah, he totally deserves a medal."
So, a medal we made...
I watched as this big brother chose carefully everything he wanted to put on that medal. This little boy sees the very best in his brother who cannot talk or walk and loves him deeply.
What an example to me.
Am I looking daily for the good in others? Am I "giving medals" to those around me in the things I say and how I treat them? A sincere compliment or a genuine smile, even from a stranger, can totally brighten someones day.
Thanks little buddy. I'm so glad you are my special friend.
Family is the best!
7 years ago



11 comments:
That was a tear-jerker for sure! What a sweet brother. Thanks for sharing.
How dang cute is that!? I just hope my Ethan is as caring and thoughtful! You are one lucky chick-a-dee to have TWO awesome crushes in your life! ;)
Thank you for blogging about this special family. I love them to pieces and think Mason deserves a medal too. I am so glad that Ethan and Ezra get to be with someone as sweet and loving as you while Mason is in the hospital.
What a sweetie pie! His parents clearly are doing a swell job despite the challenges they must face daily! What a blessing you must be in their lives as well Erin. Ethan is so lucky that he can come over to yours and that you share so lovingly and willingly with him. You are all good examples for each other! Y'all deserve medals I reckon! Glad that you have such wonderful men, both big and small, to share your life with! XXOO
okay that little boy is adorable...inside and out! what a big heart he has. and what a beautiful smile!
I've never wondered why Jesus loves little children the best. I'm always willing to serve in Nursery and primary because I know that when Christ comes again, he will visit those places first!!
Amazing Mason, big heart, what a wonderful big brother!!
This is AManda. HI and he is cute well see ya love amanda
what a tear jerker dear... what a precious story... I will pray for Mason and his family... I love you for being such a good friend to Ethan... no wonder you have a crush
Austin says hello.... he liked this story too.
Much love, Mom
Tears in my eyes.
Thanks for sharing this story. I shed some tears reading it too. I'm lucky enough to be "grampy." Ethan called me today and announced "Grampy, I think we ought to go to lunch today, don't you?" Fifteen minutes later we were sitting at Wendy's. Can't pass up an opportunity. Thanks for being such a good friend so willing to help in any way.
Thanks for being Erin -- friend and buddy to Ethan, Mason, Ezra -- and their extended family. Thanks for being so willing to help, and for making your helping out an adventure for Ethan. Is it any wonder he has such a crush on you? I don't think so.
Post a Comment