Monday, October 27, 2008

Fun Halloween Treats

Need an idea for a fun Halloween treat?

I saw this and thought we'd give it a try...

Mini- Caramel Apples

They are so cute and so yummy!
You will need:
  • A few Granny Smith apples
  • Your favorite chocolate for melting
  • Your favorite toppings to put on the chocolate
  • small wooden skewers
  • A melon baller
It depends on how many you want to make. We were able to get about 10 apple balls from each apple. We melted white chocolate, milk chocolate and peanut butter chips, but only work with one type of chocolate at a time- so it stays warm enough.

Ball your apple and be sure to leave a piece of the peel at the top where the skewer will go in- this makes it look like a real apple. Have your chocolate and your toppings ready so the apple doesn't have time to go brown. Put the skewer in and dip the apple in the chocolate and then into your toppings. Place them in the fridge until they set up. That's it!

I tried it with caramel, but because there was no peel, it slid right off- oops!


Our favorite combinations were:

  • White Chocolate dipped in Cinnamon-sugar
  • White Chocolate dipped in crushed Oreo's
  • Milk chocolate dipped in chopped peanuts
  • Milk Chocolate dipped in toffee Chips
  • Milk Chocolate dipped in Coconut
  • Peanut butter chips dipped in mini-chocolate chips
  • Any chocolate dipped in fun Halloween Sprinkles

Edible Eyeballs

You will need:

  • a package of mini-powdered donuts
  • a package of gummi Life Savers
  • a package of mini-M&M's or Mini-Reese's Pieces
  • Red decorating Frosting
  • White frosting for glue

.

.

.

.

*This is so easy, but so fun.*

Use the red frosting to make "veins" on the donuts. Place the life saver in the middle of the donut and add a drop of the white frosting in the middle of that. Place the M&M on top of the life saver. Ohhh... creepy!

HappyHalloween!!

17 comments:

Shannon said...

What fun treat ideas. I haven't seen these ones done before. We just may do the mini apples tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

It's good to see your faces back in the right places. Cute ideas! thanks! We just got our pumpkin cleaned out today...carving time tonight for FHE. I love the roasted pumpkin seeds! Yummy!

Kristi said...

I love the mini apple idea! It's perfect and sounds yummy!

Becca said...

Tell Patrick he get's a double thumbs up for being the apple baller!

Annie said...

Haha! How fun! You're making me hungry, :D. You look absolutely BEAUTIFUL in that picture...just FYI, hehe.

Baak Talk said...

so cute an idea! We will be trying it out soon.

Tricia said...

That was SO fun, and SOO yummy! You do the mostest fun things! Thanks for sharing with us, and YOU HAVE TO SHARE THE TACO SOUP RECIPE!!! Pretty please?

Marie Rayner said...

It looks like you guys are having a wonderfully fabulous time! Oh, I am so homesick for a good old american Halloween night! The smells,burning pumpkin and fall leaves, the chill and excitment in the air, Oh Erin, you make me so homesick just seeing these pictures of you and your family having some Halloween fun. (((hugs))) Great ideas here! and I too, would love the Taco soup recipe!!

Lori said...

very fun recipes!!!

Christine said...

I LOVE the eye balls. I'm in charge of a treat at one of the kids class parties, but it has to be healthy. Darn it all, those would have been so fun for the 5th graders.

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

Such a cute idea! Hey I texted you the other day but maybe you didn't get it :) But I was gonna see what you guys were doing for fhe on Monday (the 3rd) If you aren't busy we'd love to have you over and do dinner or something... have you seen the Emma Smith movie? We have it so we could watch that too :) let me know!

Leslie said...

SOOOO fun! I'm going to have to try these out! And YES, you can take him :)

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

That is perfect, lets plan on it! I think its the 1oth... so I'll put it down and we'll figure details out later :) Have fun in Kentucky!!

Anonymous said...

Erin, We miss you soo much!! School stinks without you. You are an amazing teacher. All your students love you! And its been a hard transiton. I'm glad you're happy and healthy. Come visit some time! Maybe sit in on one of our classes and tell Ms. Newell how to teach better. ;) Love ya! XOXO Kimmy and all your second years

Grammy Staffy said...

What fun...looks great...we should try them with Dave's family...

fun..fun..fun

Cathy said...

I love these! I want to eat some so bad right now!

JoElle said...

Yum! I'll have to remember your cute ideas for next year.