Thursday, July 3, 2008

Is my face red??

You know when someone asks that question… the question you generally don’t have a real answer to… the question that makes you wish you had really great story??

Well, after this morning I can answer THAT question…

What’s your most embarrassing moment?

I live in such a way that I do embarrassing things ALL the time. One particular moment doesn’t really hold a pivotal feeling over another.

Until today…

Patrick and I had our physicals for our adoption application this morning. We do not have a primary care physician. In fact, other than fertility stuff, we have not been to a doctor’s office in several years- probably more like 10.

After the routine stuff we met our doctor. He was younger than most, very friendly… he seemed like a nice guy. We chatted a bit about adoption and then on to the medical questions.

He mentioned that Patrick would need the old "turn you head and cough" checkup and I would need a breast exam and a pap smear- lovely. I convinced him that after all our fertility appointments I was a-okay down in that area of my body. He agreed.

Phew! I dodged that -ever so uncomfortable- bullet.

Patrick was up first. Everything went very smoothly and now it was my turn.

Ears. Check. Throat. Check. Breathing. Check. Reflexes. Check.

At that moment Patrick asked about a mole he had. “Speaking of moles,” I added, “I have one on my side that I’m wondering about.” He said he would check it out. “Would you like a gown?” Oh, it must be time for my breast exam. “Sure”

I proceed to remove ALL of my upper clothing. He and Patrick are still chatting.

As they finish the doctor looks over at me with a surprised look on his face. A look that let’s you know you’ve done something wrong.

I’m holding the gown in front of me to maintain some modesty for the time being.

“Oh my, I was just going to check that mole” he says in a hesitant voice.

He apparently had decided not to do the breast exam…

"Oh... Yeah... Alrighty then, I'll just put my shirt back on." I announce in a nervous tone trying to think of something witty to say. Nothing came to mind. I should have said something like "It's really hot in here..." That would have broken the awkward silence that just didn't seem to go away.

Does this make me a hussy?

You gotta good story?

Please… do share.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious! I am like you and tend to embarrass my self easily. But after reading your story, for the moment, you've got the gold medal!

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

AH hahahaha! That is too funny! You're so dang cute and innocent though I'm sure he didn't think you were trying to give a peep show :) Oh I think I would've blushed like crazy though!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...what a hoot! Going through all that infertility stuff myself (you are gonna have to tell me your story by the way!- email me, anytime.),I do think you have a good conversation starter there! :o}
I'll have to think about this one as there are MANY to choose form.

Anonymous said...

Oh my...what a hoot! Going through all that infertility stuff myself (you are gonna have to tell me your story by the way!- email me, anytime.),I do think you have a good conversation starter there! :o}
I'll have to think about this one as there are MANY to choose form.

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahahahhaah!!!! That's a good one!

The Dumpert Family said...

Holy Cow! This is hilarious! Talk about misunderstanding….we’ve all been there. With me, it’s usually that I say something goofy in a meeting or I have my dress tucked into my underwear after leaving the bathroom.

Love, Jenny

Shannon said...

OH MY GOODNESS I would have wanted to die...and Derek would be laughing for days. I think, yes you just may be a hussy (smile). Maybe you should join a nudist colony; you would fit right in (heehee).

Wendi said...

Hilarious!
I think at that point I would just put the gown on my head.
To cover the red face!

Marie Rayner said...

Most embarassing moment. I had to go to the loo inbetween meetings at church one sunday and somehow the back of my skirt got caught in the top of my panti hose and I didn't notice until I was halfway down the hall and someone pointed it out to me. Thank goodness it was discovered before I moved on into the main meeting room Colour me beet red!

Tricia said...

That's funny! Wonder if Patrick had a hard time not laughing out of respect for his silly wife! LOL

Just married, I was driving home from work on I-15, in a rental car. Going with traffic as usual, but staying in the right lane and making sure I stayed under 75 (I used to push it at 72 or 73 when I was younger, shh!). I notice a cop pull up next to me, and as I glance over, he's staring at me and smiling. Not EVEN thinking I was speeding (don't they get you only if you're going more than 10 over??), I had to think he was just being flirty (should have known better!). I smiled back and looked away, and kept driving my 72/73 mph. Cop slows down, gets behind me and lights go on. WHAT?? The dude must want my number! When he approaches, he says, ma'am do you know how fast you were going? I say, I think 72. He says, we clocked you at 76, and when I tried to get your attention to slow down, you laughed at me. I. Was. Mortified. NO! This is a rental, officer, the speedometer must be messed up (please believe that one for once!!), and I wasn't laughing at you, I thought you... I mean... when you looked at me I thought... I mean, NO I wasn't laughing at you! Holy cow, WHY doesn't anyone DIE of embarrassment??? I could have! He let me go with a warning. PHEW!

Heather said...

Yes I totally hear you! My most embarassing moment envolves doctors too! I have only told a very small handful of people about it but they all agree mine takes the cake! Call me and I will tell you sometime just so you can feel better about yourself!

Grammy Staffy said...

Honey, I know that not getting one of my blog award really upset you this week but you don't have to undress in front of others to get attention! We all still love you.. Please try dear to keep your clothes on in public. Remember how mommy taught you girls to always be modest. HeeHee

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see your expression.

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

Oh good I'm so glad you met with her! She's a doll huh! I hope everything goes well! What are you having her do for you?

Derrell said...

You are very brave to actually record your most embarrassing moment for all to see!

Kate said...

Oh what a good laugh! I'm sorry to have laughed at your expense though. I wish I could think of something embarrassing to share. I must embarrass myself to frequently to recall randomly!

Baak Talk said...

I wish my embarrasing moment only ended up embarrasing me. Unfortunately, it is worse than that.

Me, of all people, asking someone
"So when are you due (to have a baby?)"

REALLY AWKWARD PAUSE...

"I'm not!"

Yes, that's worse!

~Bec

Derrell said...

I have had to come back and read this a few times just for the good belly laugh. Thanks! :-)

Lynell said...

So funny! You were pretty anxious for that exam huh?

My most embarrassing moment involves white pants and an unknown speghetti sauce spill.

Fun stuff. hee hee

Cathy said...

That's really a good one! I'm going to have to think about my most embarrassing moment. I know I have tons but I can't think of any right now.