Friday, February 18, 2011

The Soul of a Home...

Tonight our home is an empty turtle shell. Three weeks ago we got an itch to sell it to get off a busy road and just like that- tomorrow we are moving. We love our new home. It's not very far away, but is in a quite neighborhood with plenty of kids. Perfect for our babies.

Yet I am sitting here with a stream of tears. Our home. Our sweet home filled to the brim with precious memories and love.

Patrick bought this home before we were married. I met him for the first time in this home. Right there in our family room... I was sitting on the couch and he came around the corner and I heard angels sing. Everything went into slow motion. Call me crazy but our eyes met and I felt a spark- a serious spark.

A few weeks later in that same room we were watching a movie and he laid one on me, our first kiss... yep, sparks went a flyin'.

A couple of months later, once again in that same room we confessed our love to each other. Patrick grabbed a sharpie marker and colored one blade of carpet where we had been sitting to forever mark the spot of such a significant event.

As they say, the rest is history. We married, I transformed a bachelor pad into a family's home.

There was a lot of love. There were some tears and lots of prayers with our infertility problems, but those tears turned to utter joy as our children joined our family. We now delight in the pitter patter of Calan's steps and Ellie's giggles and coos.

All the while, our home protected us from the cold, the heat, the storms that raged outside- physically and spiritually. Within these walls we were safe. Within these walls there was peace. Within these walls there was love.

As we have taken down pictures and packed up boxes I have found myself talking to our home as if it were a friend. I've been thanking our home over and over for providing us a place to be a family. I've explained why we are moving and even described the new family moving in (they are a great family!) I assured our home there will continue to be love and wonderful memories.

I told our home that we will never forget it. It may sound silly, but our home has become a member of our family and it will be missed.

Goodbye friend, we love you.

13 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Erin, you had such a lovely home. I thought it was beautiful and I could feel of the wonderful spirit that abided there. Now you are off to write on a new page with your family in a new home! How exciting and wonderful! I just know that same beautiful spirit that you had in your old home will travel with you, coz home truly is where the heart is and you carry your heart with you in those other wonderful 3 souls that you are so blessed to live with and love! All the best in your new home! xxoo

Lori said...

That is so sweet. I have a feeling your home will miss you too! What a sweet thought to color a little blade of carpet. You will love your new home too and your neighbors and ward members will be so happy to welcome you guys as you grow to love your new home. Congratulations and how exciting for you guys! Though I hear you have lots of friends in your soon to be old ward that are going to miss you a lot.

Laura said...

Your house will be missing you and your sweet spirits as well :c) I am SO excited for you and your family getting to move to a quiet neighborhood and the new friends that you will make! You guys are amazing!

Becca said...

It will miss you too! You guys are great and it's not going to be the same not having you as close by anymore!

Grammy Staffy said...

I love your old home too. It has been a happy, comfortable place for us to visit. I could always feel love within it's walls. We have enjoyed the comfort and convenience of having "our own" room and bathroom. You had turned that bachelor pad into a beautiful, cozy home.... indeed a home full of special memories.

I have been a bit sad today knowing that you are moving. However, I am excited that you found such a lovely new home to move in to. I am sure that you will soon turn your new house into a beautiful home.... and it will also be full of love and happy memories.

I wish that I were there to help you move. I'm sending lots of love. Hugs, Mom

Christine said...

We are going to miss you guys so much. I can't believe it sold so fast this time around. When is the first party at your new place?

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing those memories about your home. I've never heard most of them, they are very sweet. :) But just think, maybe your new home is where Ellie will learn to walk or where and Ellie and Calan will go on their first dates or meet their spouses and so on. I guess that's the beauty of this life. That we get to make all these memories.

Leslie said...

Oh I just loved this post. You will be missed and are oh so loved. When things get settled we for sure want to come see your new home. Calan will have so much fun exploring his new place, and you will make it an amazing home!

hoLLy said...

we are very much alike! i feel the same time each time we move. floods of memories hit me and it makes me sad. especially when we moved from our very first home. and i find myself talking to the walls too! we just put our current house on the market..this is the longest we've ever been in a house, the most "at home" i've felt but we are outgrowing it:( its where we brought both cali and ammon home from the hospital. holidays, birthdays, so many good memories. its been a wonderful place to be. but onto new adventures!

Anjella said...

Oh sweet friend, reading this post made me miss you all the more. I am so excited for all your new adventures, but I will so miss seeing you so often... and your sweet kiddos too.

The Snow Queen said...

You should take a picture of that spot on the carpet and then cut that little blade right out and tape it to a piece of paper and keep it forever! I'm a sentimental old fool!

Unknown said...

Every time I drive by your house I feel sad in my heart. I miss you and those darling babies. I miss the love that just surrounded you like an aura of light. I miss your smiles and the joy you emanted. You are such a special family. Lucky new house and lucky new ward. You'll always be part of our hearts.
Colleen

Amy Rae said...

Before you shut off all your comments will you please send me your eamil address? Mine is aimers23@yahoo.com Just don't want to lose our connections. Also, you neighborhood looks lovely and we're looking at moving to Utah county- any advice for us? my cell number is 360.509.2995 or you've got my email- I'd also love to some adoption tips also, as we're getting ready to head down that roat too! Love you and best to your Mom!