Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Big Brother

I have heard many mothers tell me that when a second child comes into their home, their first born instantly grows up. I have now learned for myself just how true this is.

Calan went from our baby boy to our big boy in the blink of an eye.
.
Cal has been an amazing big brother, especially considering he is only 16 months old. He loves to give sissy kisses. He asks to hold her all the time by putting his little hands out and then signing 'please'. He brings her his toys and has even brings her his beloved blankie, his most prized possession. Sweet boy.



.
Cal is very concerned when Ellie cries. When I'm making her a bottle and she starts to cry, Cal comes to me and starts tugging on me to let me know that I need to take care of sissy. What a good big brother!



Patrick is so helpful with Cal, taking him to the park or running errands with him to give me some alone time with my girl. But I feel like it's equally important for me and Cal to have special one on one time as well. I am so thankful for Patrick- he is so cute with Ellie and dotes on her while Cal and I make cookies, water the flowers or go grocery shopping... some of our favorite activities together.
.
Our little boy has had to grow up quite a bit. He is learning to be patient with mommy. He is learning to be soft with his sister. He is learning how to share. I know there are some moments of frustration for our little guy, but we are amazed with him and the big brother he has become.
We love you big brother!

6 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

You and Patrick are such wonderful parents Erin. Cal is such a special big brother and wonderful little boy, largely due to your love, patience and wonderful parenting skills. You care for Cal in a very special way and your wonderful caring examples have taught him to be a caring and loving individual as well. No surprise there!! I just know your mum is having a wonderful time helping you out! I love you all so very much and am grateful for the fine examples and love that your whole family shares with me. You have been a blessing in my life. xxoo

Grammy Staffy said...

What a joy it is for me to be here with big brother Cal and his little sissy Ellie. How I love you dear daughter... and how I love your children. I am so blessed to have all of you in my life.
Hugs, Mom

Baak Talk said...

What a sweet boy! This must be one special little girl to come into your family. Such heaven on earth!!

Shannon said...

Oh Erin I am so thrilled for you to have a new baby girl. What an amazing blessing. And boy is she a cutie. How great that Cal is starting off this big brother thing so sweetly. I would love to talk about all the placement details. Love you.

The Snow Queen said...

I love it! She's gorgoeous! I had a tiny baby! 5pounds 14 ounces! That smile of hers is so cute.

Annie said...

I was so excited to hear from Camy that you guys have two children now but thank goodness for blogs so that I can actually see some pictures and hear your thoughts about it. They are both so darling. How wonderful!