I love children's books. I love the fun creative pictures. I love the stories that teach a great lesson. I love the stories that are just plain silly. I love everything about them.
For years I have been collecting children's books.
I anticipated the day when I would sit and enjoy them with my children.
Yesterday I saw him head into the office and knew he would be busy for a while. I was next door in the bathroom getting ready for the day when I suddenly heard the very distinct sound of ripping paper. Cal is not always gentle with the books, but he has never ripped pages before.
I headed into the office to check out the damage. He pulled off the jackets of several books and tore them in half. Did I mention he is a quick worker?
I held up the pieces and he looked at me with a very proud look on his face. In a serious voice I said to him, "Calan, honey that's a no-no." He began to shake his head, no-no as he picked up another piece to rip. We gathered up the pieces and put them into the garbage.
My heart sank for just a moment seeing the pieces in the trash, but then I remembered buying these books and dreaming about this very day.
Dreams do come true... and it's better than I could have ever imagined!
And besides, why does a book need a jacket anyway??



5 comments:
Erin, you are such a good mum. I, too, have a wonderful love affair with books, especially children's books. I had a huge collection of them for my own children and read to them every day when they were growing up. I hope that they have some happy memories of those times! Cal looks sooo grown up standing in that doorway!! What a sweetie pie. I just know that he loves those special times you spend together with stories and books! xxoo
Sweet Cal. I am glad you have a little boy to rip up books for you. What a sweetie.
So fun to see you guys in Costco the other night!
Oh Erin, I've fought this battle! I have shed actual tears as I've thrown entire colored in, ripped up books away. BUT, you are right, it is wonderful at the same time!
You are a good mom not to get mad dear. I am glad that you have so much patience. However,keep working on teaching Cal that no no means no no. That is a hard lesson for little ones that are so full of curiosity and so busy to learn... but keep working at it.
I can't wait to get there and read stories to our darling Cal. How I love that sweet boy.... and you too of course. Hugs, Mom
Anna had her first "time out" after ripping a page in one of my all time favorite books. I was so sad. After her time out we talked about how it hurts the books and we had to fix it with the tape. She kept saying, "book sad, book hurt." Too cute! The nice thing is that she is so careful with books now. Even if the page gets caught and makes a funny noise she will say, "oh no, rip???? Mommy fix"
Post a Comment