Dear Calan,
For 4 months I have been blessed with the opportunity to be your mommy. For a very long time I looked forward to feeding you, washing you, rocking you, playing with you.
I never dreamed that at such a young age you would teach me so much. When I least expect it, without any words, you teach me a beautiful little lesson that changes the way I look at life. I don't want to forget these precious moments so I will write them down to share with you one day...
You are learning new things everyday. We feel so proud of you! When you smile and giggle for me and daddy we hover over you and soak it all in. The first time you discovered your little fingers we were amazed! I was feeding you a couple weeks ago and as I sat you up you burped all by yourself! You're Incredible! :)
Even your simplest accomplishments are so exciting to us.
The other morning daddy had already left, so his job of sucking out your congested nose fell on my shoulders. I'm no good at it and we both know it. You were so patient with me... you tried to stay really still and didn't cry one bit. The look on your face said to me- "that was a really good try, mom".
I told you over and over what a big boy you were and that I was so proud of you.
A feeling swept over me that said, "And I'm proud of you."
I was taken back for a minute. I felt that just as daddy and I praise you, our Heavenly Father was equally proud of all of us for our simple accomplishments throughout the day.
I had never thought of it before- but in my mind doing the "over achiever accomplishments" would surely gain the praise of my ever watching Heavenly Father. But in that brief moment, as I stood there full of pride for you, I felt that even our smallest actions are not only noted, but praised openly on the other side.
So while finding the cure for cancer will never be in my list of accomplishments, I did smile and say 'good morning' to the people we passed on our walk today- even though I hadn't brushed my hair yet and would have rather ducked my head.
But it felt good- and that tells me it was the right thing to do.
And that's how HE tells us He's proud of us.
Thank you, my little son, for helping me to more fully understand that.
Family is the best!
7 years ago



11 comments:
Wonderful post and so very true Erin. I don't think it's until we become parents ourselves that we can fully understand the magnitude of our Heavenly Father's love and patience for us! You are such a wonderful mother. I am so glad that Cal found you and that you found him! A match made in heaven to be sure! xxoo
Hi this is Amanda What a WONDERFUL POST and very true erin
One Christmas when Janelle (my niece) was about 3 years old, and had finished opening all of her presents she announced, "I got everything I didn't know I wanted!" That's how I feel about the lesson you taught me today. I didn't know I needed it, but now that I've got it I'm so very grateful!
This is a beautiful post and so true. Keep enjoying your role as mommy.
Hey Staff! you are such a sweet mommy...cal is one lucky boy. I just wanted to write you and tell you about a party im having on saturday.11-2pm. 3529 N 160 W provo ut 84604. My sister in law has the most darling clothing line for babies. I am hosting this party for her to sell all of her last years inventory for SO cheap. $6 for one onesie or $20 for 4! I have a link to her blog from mine if you want to check out her stuff. www.rachellidesign.com. It would be fun to see you and have you there!
That was so sweet. Than you so much for reminding me how much what we are doing matters. And it was so fun to see you this morning. Cal is so lucky to have you guys, you really are a perfect little family!
What a great thought, that we are being cheered for the little thing we do right during the day. I know that when I make simple right choices for my kids like ordering cups of water not soda or making healthy dinners and cleaning the house I feel like a good mom. That must be from all the cheers in heaven.
Dear Daughter,
I am sorry that I didn't see this beautiful post until today. It is so touching...as all of your posts are.
Being a parent puts a whole new perspective on life. I sent a card to my mom after Lynell was born that said "I think I never really knew...Your love for me and mine for you...until I was a mother too."
I think that is so true. The bond between mother and child is so strong and so precious...it helps us to realize the love that both our earthly parents and heavenly parents have for us.
Your post makes me smile today. I surely do hope that our Heavenly Father notices the little things we do for good. That idea is comforting.
I am sending love as always, Mom
Love you lil' sis. Such a sweet post we are so lucky to have Patrick, you and Cal in our family. Can't wait to see you on Wednesday.
how lucky calan is to have you guys for parents!! so great to hear how much your enjoying motherhood :)
Post a Comment