This week has come with a wide range of emotion.
First and foremost would be that of love and gratitude. Feelings of love I cannot adequately express towards our dear birth-mother, Jenny. She has changed our lives forever. She was the answer to our continuous heart-felt prayers. Her courage to do this most selfless act makes her my hero- and our little guy will be constantly told how wonderful she is. She brought him to us. She made us a family. She gave us the greatest gift.
This week was also filled with worry and concern. On Tuesday we took little Cal into the pediatrician to check on a possible heart murmur and his jaundice level. The murmur was gone much to our relief. The jaundice was checked with a blood test and the results would be available in a couple of hours.
We drove 45 minutes back home when Patrick received the dreaded phone call. "His jaundice levels have almost doubled from an 11 to a 19 in less than 24 hours. You need to take him to Primary Children's Hospital immediately." We couldn't believe it. We quickly gathered up a few things but then paused to say a prayer for our little man.
We arrived just before 5pm expecting to have him chill under the Bili lights for a bit and then come back home. We knew this was common.
The doctor came in to talk to us and began to express his concern about Cal's fever. He was warm at about 100 degrees. He then began talking about tests they needed to do... another blood test, a mucus test, a urine test and most scary to me was a spinal fluid test. They were concerned he could have an infection and wanted to find out what it could be.
My eyes began to fill with tears. Our sweet little baby was going to be poked and prodded in a painful way and it crushed my heart. I looked to Patrick and told him I did not think I could endure watching him suffer in this way. "I will stay with him, you wait out in the hall." I kissed our little boy and tears flowed as I walked out of the room.
I was thankful to find a semi-private place where I lowered my head and began a constant prayer. "Please bless the doctor's hands as they work on our baby, Please bless Calan with angels to support him, Please bless Patrick and strengthen him.
I could not believe how much love I felt for our baby only 4 days old. I would have gladly taken his place for those tests.
As I sat there busy in my thoughts by mind went suddenly still. It felt as though warm water had poured over me, from my head all the way down to my toes. There were no words associated with it but the feelings in my heart were crystal clear. "You love your sweet little boy so much after just 4 days... your concern for him is great, your sadness for his pain is deep. Erin, I have known you and loved you for longer than you can understand. My concern for you is great, my sadness for your pain is deep, my joy for your joy is very real. I am aware of every feeling of your heart. I am your Heavenly Father and I love you."
I have always felt my Heavenly Father's love for me. But, even as a very new parent, I felt it in a very new and tender way. He really is my Heavenly Father and loves me even more than I can comprehend.
I felt peace. I felt love. I felt new understanding.
I walked back to his room and they still were not finished. I heard his cries and cried with him.
As the door opened the scene before me proved that the procedure was difficult on our little one. Patrick asked me to stay outside until everything was cleaned up. The look on his face proved to me that this was equally difficult on him.
A few minutes later our new little family was once again joined together. Patrick held Calan and hugged me at the same time. I told him of the experience I had had out in the hall and he relayed to me his tender experience.
Cal's little hand wrapped around Patrick's finger for the entire procedure. His firm grip never let go. Patrick was moved to emotion to watch our innocent little baby go through so much.
His thoughts also turned towards our loving Heavenly Father. He looked on as His son suffered the ultimate sacrifice. Cal's suffering was brief- it was for his good and would benefit him, even though it was painful. Our Savior suffered for our benefit. He was perfect. His pain would allow us to repent and live with Him again.
The love our Heavenly Father has for us truly is incomprehensible. Our dear Savior sacrificed all because of His love for us. It is the greatest gift.
In just 4 days of life, our little Calan has taught us so much. We are especially thankful this Easter season to have a new perspective of the Atonement and a deeper understanding of the love that is felt for us from above.
It truly is the greatest gift.
Family is the best!
7 years ago



24 comments:
Beautiful post Erin, and much food for thought. I cried tears of joy when I found out about Jenny's gift to you of this beautiful little boy. I cried tears of fear when I found out he had been admitted back into hospital and I prayed long and hard until I knew all was ok. What a beautiful picture of such a beautiful little boy. He may be your blessing, but by sharing your words with us you have blessed us also. I think you for that. Sending love and hugs and congrats to you and Patrick. I know you will be the best parents to little Calan that he could ever have!
Erin, you don't know me, but this is Marie's Todd. Your story touched my heart in an unspeakable way. I so much love the correlation you were able to make between your tender experience and the atonement. Thankyou for that. My love and prayers are with you and your lovely little family.
Todd
I am so glad Cal is okay. I am so sorry you had to go through that but i am also moved that you had that amazing feeling as you felt the love and support of our heavenly father through all that. i hope Cal continues to improve.
My heart goes out to you! That is alot to watch your little man go through. So emotionally draining. You are a wonderful example to all of us, through your words and actions. Congrats again on that little boy! He is so lucky to have you as parents!
Erin, Words cannot express the happiness I feel that everything worked out for your family and that you were able to be together for Easter! It is the hardest thing in the world to watch your child suffer. I feel the tiniest glimpse of what Heavenly Father must feel on a daily basis as there is always a child on earth in distress!
I look forward to meeting your new little son!
Reading this just broke my heart. Isn't it amazing how immedialty you love a baby thats yours through adoption. What a blessing that is. I am so glad that you were comfortated through that hospital experience. No baby or new parent should have to feel that pain. I'm so glad that baby Calan is doing well now.
Erin, thank you for sharing that beautiful experience. You have a wonderful way of putting emotions into words that can touch someone else. I was truly touched, and I am so happy for you and Patrick.
I am so happy you have no idea! Janelle came and asked me today if I had heard that you had gotten a baby and I was like what?! I seriously could not wait until I got home and could look at your blog. He is so adorable! Everyone from your loving ASL 2 classes sends their congratulations and love for you, Patrick, and little Calan. I love you and am so happy for you! Give me a call when you get a chance because I would love to talk to you!
What an awful experience to have to go through! Isn't it amazing how we learn so much from such difficult things that we go through? I was thinking of one of the survivors of the Willie or Martin handcart co. who spoke of their horrible experience on the plains. He said something like it being a small price to pay to become aquainted with God.
I am so happy for you and Pat and little Cal!! He is just beautiful!!
Erin,
I am so incredibly happy for you guys!!! I can't even express my joy for you. We have been meaning to come visit, but Jack and I have been sick, sick, sick!! So we will have to come when we are way better. Thanks for sharing your tender moments!
Lindsey
Tears. But good ones. Can I ever even come close to telling you how much I love you and how glad I am that you are my friend. And isn't it crazy how motherhood changes the way you think about everything in your life?
Thank you for sharing your tender feelings. I am so inspired by your sweet testimony! I am so glad that your sweet baby is home and doing well! What a beautiful baby for a beautiful couple! Congrats again!
AHHH the wonderful miracle of life. I am thrilled that you get to start this new fork in your journey. Isn't it amazing the twists and turns our lives take? I could never have imagined years ago that I would be here, and I'm sure you feel the same. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy the babe a little now. I know easier said than done. :0)
What a hard thing to go through for your little family. I'm so glad that Calan is back home and you are finally the family of your dreams. He is so blessed to have you and Patrick as parents, and you are so lucky to have him.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Even though you've only known Calan for 4 days, I believe you've loved him longer than that. You are amazing Erin, I am so grateful to know you. I hope Calan recovers quickly! He's so blessed to have you and Patrick as parents.
Erin you shared beautifully the emotions that come with being a loving parent and watching them endure the pains of the world. Heavenly Father gave you a message that is meant for us all. He does love us and to know that is one of the great gifts of my life. Thank you for sharing it.
Craig and I are extremely jubilant that you have become a mother! Tell Patrick hi for us, OK? We send bushels of love to all three of you.
Patrick& Erin, I am so happy for you. Words cannot describe the emotions I have reading your thoughts about this little soul. It brings back memories of the birthdays of my children and how grateful I am for each of them. But my thoughts can’t help but turn to the little boy I placed 30 years ago. No regrets - just emotion. Every mother that has given birth and, rather than 'keep', placed that child in the arms of his parents, appreciates your warm and loving thoughts about Cal's birthmother.
Love you guys - Mo
That is so sweet and inspirational! I'm so happy that you have your sweet baby! That picture is quite simply that cutest little baby picture I have ever seen! I am planning my visit to come and meet Cal, but I've been to sick to dare leave my house let alone be around a tiny baby! He's a lucky boy to have you two..
This is Amanda how r u calan is so cute bless jesus christ and heavely father love amanda
Aloha Erin,
Thank you for your powerful testimony about Heavenly Father knowing and loving us. Thank you also for your testimony about the Savior and His atonement. How is Calan doing? Is he doing better now? I wish you all the best.
Aloha,
Karalee Johnson (Rebecca Baak's sister)
I am DeAnna's sister and she had shared your story with me. I just wanted to say I too was overcome with tears in reading about the blessings you have received. What a beautiful boy! I loved what you wrote about his birth mother. My best friend gave up a child for adoption 17 years ago and is still in close contact with the adoptive family. Adoption is truly a self-less act and I am thankful that you are a recipient. You sound like wonderful parents and your child is fortunate to have been placed in your care.
Erin,
Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your husband. I have thought about you many times since the last day I saw you at school leaving with and armful of ballons and then being so broken-hearted that things didn't work out. I'm sure the love and joy you have for little Calan is helping to mend that heart in a hurry. Heavenly Father certainly blesses us so abundantly, we just tend to get impatient when it doesn't fit our timetable! Reading your thoughts here was an inspirational experience for me and I feel blessed to have become acquainted with you through Cherlyn and our connection at Timpview. Best wishes to your new family!
Eileen Wyckhuyse
I love to read your blog because you have such a strong spiritual understanding. I learn so much from you. Again, congrats on your new baby boy. He's beautiful.
In tears as i read this- you have summed up perfectly the many emotions a new parent goes through! How scary!! I hope it is all resolved now- my 4th son had a hole in his heart when he was born, not the normal one, it was between the walls in the lower chambers- so at 28 days old we had to take him to Primary's and after a very long day of tests and waiting and more tests we were able to take him home with the great news that it could possibly close on its own... (and it did!!) I just remember leaving the hospital and finally feeling like I could breathe again.
Good luck to you guys and your perfect little man!!
Post a Comment