I have been a high school teacher for 9 years. I love teaching! I love my students, but the old saying "there are no stupid questions" is simply not true. At least once a day a student will start up a conversation with me that goes something like this... "Are we doing anything today?" to which, with my own streak of sass, I will usually say something like, "Hmm, today? (pause, with a thoughtful look on my face) No, I didn't really plan on doing anything today." Generally at this point they are just staring at me with a blank look on their face, the wheels turning in their head saying, "is she serious or is she just messing with me?" Sometimes I let the awkward silence continue for a moment as I stand there with a pleasant smile on my face. Have we ever not worked during class time? Not once the entire year. Yeah, like I said, sometimes there really can be a stupid question.
Family is the best!
7 years ago



5 comments:
I believe in stupid questions too. Like Grace saying, "Am I going to get a time out?" Of course you are dear.
My second favorite "dumb" question was after days of being absent the students would ask me"did I miss anything while I was gone?" To which I usually answered "No, we all just sat and waited for you to get back." Mom
Hey there Erin. I saw that your mom left a comment on Adam Christensen's blog and I tracked you down from there. Welcome to the world of blogs. It is such a fun way to peek at friends lives that aren't programmed on your cell phone. I always consider you a great friend and now I will know what's going on over there. You’re welcome to stop by our blog any time. I know that when you're in town you stick with the family, but it would be fun to get together with you and Rebecca and Heather and who ever else is around here still. Think about it (smile).
So true. The one I get all the time is "did you know you were having twins?" No, I didn't have an ultrasound my entire pregnancy!
Oh, how I remember that question. Why oh why do they ask it? You can even have the whole agenda written out on the board and they will still ask it. In the 7 years I taught I think only one day did two of my classes not do anything. ( I was outside barfing with baby # 1 for most of the period.)
Post a Comment