Calan loves animals… loves them!
Too bad for little Cal we don’t have any pets. In fact, we won’t have a pet until our kids are old enough to take care of it themselves. It’s going to be a little while.
Luckily for Cal our neighbor has a cat. Today after church the cat made its way into our yard and Cal was instantly smitten with her. She was so sweet and patient with him, even when he was less than gentle with her.
Cal wanted to feed her and asked me for a cracker. I explained to him that cats don’t like crackers but that she would probably like a drink of milk. He helped me get a bowl and pour the milk. He set it down and was seriously giddy as she slurped it up.
I have to admit, it was sneaky on my part… win over the affection of our neighbors cat? It’s perfect! Cal has a new friend to play with and we don’t have the responsibility of caring for her.
We put our kids to bed and as I passed our back door this is what I found… She was waiting for Cal to come and play or waiting for some more milk, probably both.
I have to be careful. I can see Cal feeding all the pets in the neighborhood and our backyard could soon become a zoo. I joked with Patrick that Cal is a mini Dr. Doolittle. Oh he is so cute, I could just eat him up!


