Monday, July 12, 2010

Like Father, Like Son...

The first time I saw Patrick with my nieces and nephews I knew he would be an amazing father. I loved the way he talked to them... he would ask them question that would get them thinking, and talking. I loved to listen to their little conversations. I just knew he would be a hands on dad that would be involved in our children's everyday life with plenty of piggy back rides and trips to the park. And I loved that.

When I first met Patrick's father, Sam, I instantly knew where Patrick developed this precious skill. Sam is such a sweet and patient man.


For 35 years Patrick's dad worked the grave yard shift to support his family. Patrick learned the role of a father and a provider from his dad. Patrick has often told me that his dad would sacrifice much needed sleep during the day to support his kids in the things they were doing. What a great man!

When Patrick was born his dad bought him his very first airplane... and from that moment he was hooked. Patrick has many memories of going to the park with his dad to fly his remote control airplane. This is a love that Patrick has already passed on to Cal.

Sam is always tinkering with this or that on something for the grandkids to play with. I love this picture because it is so typical... grandpa with all of his grandkids gathered around him working on something fun.




.
.
.
On our trip to Indiana there happen to be a remote control show with people coming from all over to show off their killer airplane skills. I just have to giggle at this picture... 3 generations of RC enthusiasts enjoying the show. All 3 of them sat there "ohh-ing" and "awe-ing" the cool planes that dance in front of them. Even at 15 months little Cal could not get enough!

I am so thankful to Patrick's dad for being such a great example to my husband his entire life...
.
My husband who is not afraid to get his hands dirty changing a gross diaper, will crawl all over the house playing hide and go seek with our boy, will give frequent rides on his shoulders even though it means pokes in the ears and eyes, works so hard to provide for our family and is so patient and loving with his wife.
.
Thank you Sam for teaching my husband how to be such a great man... my man.

3 comments:

Marla said...

Erin - this is the sweetest, most beautifully written post. I loved reading it. And yes, I can confirm that our children loved Uncle Patrick from the moment they met him!

Grammy Staffy said...

I agree with Marla, this is a great post. I love the pictures and the message. You do have a fantastic man for a husband... he is a great dad and learn from his great dad. We are bless to have him in our family. Hugs, Mom

Unknown said...

You are the luckiest girl in the world! You have a great family and I love reading your blog. Keep the posts coming!