(This post is incredibly over due!!)
When I was 18 years old, I packed my bags and moved up to Provo, Utah to attend Brigham Young University. Being a lone Freshman at a school with over 25,000 students... I felt lost and very small. My oldest sister, Lynell, also lived in Provo with her husband and (at that time) two little boys.
They were my home away from home. I don't know what I would have done that first year without my big sis. She walked me around the HUGE campus before classes started so I would know where to go. She arranged a job for me at the Brick Oven Restaurant with the amazing connections she had. She even helped me with assignments that seemed a bit overwhelming.
To tell you the truth, she was my second mom and I depended on her so much.
Many years have gone by, and even though I'm not that scared little freshman anymore, I look up to my sister more than ever. With the majority of my family in another State, I depended on Lynell and her family during 15 years of my single life here in Utah. She allowed me the honor of taking her kids trick or treating every year, treating me like I was one of the gang. With them I was one of the gang.
On Holidays, such as Easter, when I couldn't fly home I was equally at home with them. I have enjoyed COUNTLESS delicious meals at her table. When I needed to get away for a weekend I would pack my bags and head to their house. Most of the time I would call her on my way up and let her know I was coming to stay with them. She was always excited and what was equally fun was the warm reception I got from her cute kids. I never knocked, I would open the door and announce my arrival in anticipation of little hugs. I always felt so loved.
Her family has had their fair share of good times and bad. Lynell faces each challenge with a determination to get through it triumphantly. When my nephew, Justin, got burned when he was just 2 years old it was more than I could take. To watch him suffer the way he did and then the several surgeries that followed... she became his nurse and did all the tough things that ensured a successful recovery. She was so brave.
We are well into our adult lives, but she will always be my big sister. I trust her opinion. I value her advice. I cannot remember one time in our life when we have had a cross moment with each other. Not one.
This year for my birthday (July 18) Patrick was out of town on business. So of course I pack up my bags and Cal and I headed up to Lynell's for almost a week. As always, it was home away from home.
Lynell made this yummy French treat for my birthday breakfast. I can't remember the name- but it was delish!!
While we were gone, Lynell's kids watched little Cal. I had to snap this photo, am I'm so glad I did. It is easily one of my favorite pictures of Cal with his cousin, Johnny. As Lynell and I got home I ran into the house to check on my little guy. All the boys were there, shirts off (including Cal) playing in the family room. Cal looked up at me from where he was sitting with his cousin with the expression on his face saying, "hey mom... what's up? I'm just chillin' with the big boys." So cute! Cal sure loves his cousins!
After our facials we headed to Lynell's friend's house. She has a spray tan machine. I have not been out in the sun very much this summer, so this was a fun way to get that summer glow.
My favorite dinner is a meaty steak sandwich with some thick wedge potato fries. YUM! It was so good and a great ending to a great day!
I love you so much!



7 comments:
I remember staying at Lynell's with you when you were just about to start teaching and we were at a conference. I didn't even really know you very well. I remember feeling very welcome and I loved your family. What a great sister you have!
As you know Lynell was the first person in your family I became acquainted with. It was so much fun to meet her and her family last winter, and also fun to meet you! I just love you all so very much!! That little Cal is such a sweetheart and he looks so much like you and Patrick! I would love to make him a Sock Monkey. It all depends what kind of socks you want it made from. If you want traditional colours, you will have to send me the socks as I cannot get them over here. If it doesn't matter what colour, then I can just do it with whatever I can find! Let me know!
love and hugs to you all!
XXOO
WE love Lynell! Yes we do! I agree Erin...she is amazing and always so, so fun to be around. Great post.
Do you remember how we worshipped Lynell when we were in junior high? I think all of us wanted to be her.
that makes me smile! I can't even imagine life without my sisters. Any one of them would be more than happy to have me "pack my bags and call them on the way" as i would be for them :) (except who wants to come to overton!?!?) :)
*becky kelly*
I don't know how I missed this lovely tribute to our Lynell. I guess I missed it because I was so sick that week and I didn't get to my computer much. However, I did look last week but I didn't see it. It is beautiful post.
One of the great blessings in my life is that all of you kids love each other so much. We have a wonderful family. I am not bragging... I am just acknowledging how blessed and lucky we are.
Lynell is a great big sister,daughter,mother, wife and friend. She always has been special ....just like all of you. I love you all dearly. No mother on earth has been blessed with dearer, more precious children. I am so thankful for each of you and your families.
Much love, Mom
Well I just got your email and decided to pop over and check out your blog. Erin you are so adorable. I don't know what I would have done without you over the years. You are a part of every important event in my life. You have been there through all of the good and not so good times. I love you more than anything. It is so wonderful to have you in my life.
Post a Comment