Several years ago I was sitting in the front room of my apartment reading a book. I had been teaching school and loved my job but, I have to admit, was ready to find the love of my life and get married. I mentioned this frequently to my very patient Heavenly Father in my prayer each morning, night and several times during the day.
As I sat there enjoying my book, I heard a buzzing sound. I soon realized that a little bee had sneaked past the front door and was now trapped between the window and the blinds right above me. I opened the door and twisted the blinds to give this little critter a chance to escape.
Nothing happened.
He continued to fly around in his confined space in a frenzy, repeatedly hitting his nose against the glass trying to get out. He was becoming more and more frustrated.
Having compassion on the little guy I opened the blinds completely and, being home alone, began talking him through what was going on.
“Come on buddy, I know you want to go outside, but you can’t get there that way.”
I took my book and gave him a gentle swoosh towards the door. He spun around for a little bit and then headed back to the window, once again beating his nose into the glass.
“If you would just turn around you would see that there is a way out.”
This time I grabbed a pillow from the couch and gave him a mighty thud towards the door. I stepped back and hoped for the best.
He flew around dazed for a bit, turned towards the door and happily flew away.
I sat back down to resume my reading when a thought came to my mind as if it had been spoken out loud...
“Erin, stop beating your nose against the glass.”
I suddenly froze. In my life I was acting like that little bee and I had just learned a very important lesson. I needed to follow the path Heavenly Father had for me and make me into the person He wanted me to become. I needed to stop beating my nose against the glass.
We all have desires, righteous desires that we hope and pray will come to fruition. But, it’s when we can align our will with HIS that we can find the path that is truly ours. Some of the time we need a gentle prod while other times we get quite a jolt. Both can be painful at first but, if we allow it, can lead us to a better way. He does this because He loves us.
"The Lord gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding and compassion which polish you for everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain." Richard G. Scott
Now and then I find myself beating my nose against the glass and with a smile I think of that little bee and the lesson he taught me that day.
I hope I never forget it.
Family is the best!
7 years ago



16 comments:
I seem to hit my nose against the glass a lot. :)
Erin, I love your stories. I remember the one you wrote about Grace and the nailpolish. I've shared that story with others and they also loved it and were touched by it.
Thank you. i need to remember to stop hitting my nose against the glass. I really need to. Thanks for the reminder. It is hard becoming polished. lots of pains and anguish...but it all works out. Everything does.
I must be a busy bumble bee. :) I have first hand experience with this, and it is SO true! A plus to it is, when we start aligning ourselves, life becomes so much more enjoyable, clear, and purposeful! Love you!
No wonder I love you so much my sweet girl. I thank you for your faith and for they examples you set for me. I am a better person because I have you for a daughter.
I love you and Patrick to death.... and...I am trying hard to stop beating my nose against the glass.(but I still pray for God to make you parents once or twice or ten times a day)
Lots of Love my dears, Mom
So weird...I was totally thinking of this story last night! It's easy for me to say but I know that when the Lord's path takes you where you're supposed to go...your little kiddos will be as wonderful as your Patrick is and so worth the wait!
What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Great post, Erin. Thanks for sharing.
Erin!! Nancy Macedone here- Hey there!! Long time no see! I saw your name on Deanna Householders blog and wondered if it was the same Erin!! I am so happy it is!! (BTW I didn't know you know Deanna, she was one of my roommates at BYU). You look so happy!! Your husband is a cutie and I am so happy to see you!! I read through some of your old posts, I esp love your Ghana posts! You are so amazing!!
Way to go sis! I love how you can find lessons in everyday life. You are awesome! Keep it up. You inspire us all.
What a great story teller you are.
Thanks for sharing this story.
Now I know why my nose is always sore.
I need some better alignment.
Happy Monday!
I love that story! I'm glad I found your blog too! It's darling. Ethan hasn't stopped talking about you! He only ever refers to you by your first and last name! I think it's adorable. He feels special when he gets to be with you. Thanks for that...
I loved this post Erin. We can all find ourselves beating our noses against the glass from time to time. Your lovely little parable is a beautiful lesson to us all. Well done! (((hugs)))
PS - I hope your parents are safe and sound. They are in my prayers. Scary fires.
How profound Erin! Don't you just love bees? They aren't supposed to be able to fly either, but they do it anyway. Loved this post!
No wonder my nose is so flat! I couldn't figure out why my sunglasses wouldn't stay on the other day...
Hi Erin...love your post...but I have a question. I keep checking your Mom's blog. Is everything alright where your parents live with the fires burning? I have been quite concerned about them, because the news here says the fires are burning in Riverside County. Could you please let me know if everything is alright with your parents......Thanks much..
Erin, i missed you today in institute... to tell you the truth, i learned more from your last post than i did in class... ha
You are amazing!
Thanks for letting me be your friend!
cam cam
Post a Comment