Goodness... it has been a month since our very special day. It has been a hard for me to write this post. Not because it is secret or too precious to share, but because I've had a hard time formulating my feeling of that day into words. It was all I hoped and dreamed it would be.
Friday, October 16 is a day we will never forget.
We got up bright and early. I walked into Cal's room and instantly felt warmth and inner peace... but at the same time it felt busy with excitement. I turned on the light and walked over to Cal's crib. He was smiling, almost giggling as his eyes quickly glanced around the room. He could feel it too. I had a strong impression that this day would be spent with many loved ones on both sides of the veil. They were here to celebrate our very special day with us and it touched my heart deeply.
Patrick came in soon after with Cal’s bottle and began to feed him. I sure love my boys.
At 8am, dressed up in our best clothes, we got in the car and headed to the court house.
We arrived just after 8:15am and made our way up to the 4th floor. Calan fell asleep and was resting peacefully in his car-seat. This would be a very long day for our little man and we were thankful for every moment of sleep he could get.
Our case worker and lawyer were there and we began going over paper work and such. But then our family began to arrive. It was like Christmas morning! Each time the elevator doors opened another wave of love ones joined us. Soon the room was full and the excitement was electric! Cal woke up and was all smiles. Our day was finally here!
The judge entered the room and we were asked to rise. Patrick and I were asked to raise our right hand and swear to tell the truth. I could already feel tears swelling up in my eyes, but did my best to keep control.
Cal was sitting on Patrick’s lap and was looking all around. I know it sounds crazy, but I felt like he knew what was going on and his little grin let us know he was as excited as we were.
Our case worker took the stand and was questioned by our lawyer… such as, did we meet all the requirements by the state… did the agency find it in Calan’s best interest for us to be his parents. Each time she answered yes.
Next it was our turn. We were allowed to stay seated where we were. I was questioned first. He asked me about 15 questions. They started simple… stating my name, birthday, our wedding date, Cal’s birthday, etc. But then it got difficult to answer because of the emotion I was feeling. “Do you understand that by adopting this child you are making a legally binding promise to provide all the rights and privileges that your own children would enjoy, as if the child had been born to you?” “Yes.” I answered through my tears. At that moment I looked down at Cal sitting on Patrick’s lap and he was staring at me with the biggest, sweetest smile on his face.
The final question was, “Could you please share with the court your feelings regarding this adoption?” It was difficult to speak, but I expressed our love towards our little boy and our birth-mother. She gave us the greatest gift. It is the greatest sacrifice a person can give.
The judge said a few words, pounded his gavel, and that was it. Calan
Calan was now legally ours, but our wonderful day would only get better.
We finished up at the court house, I fed our little guy and we headed up to Timpanogos Temple. We had some extra time so we drove slow as Cal slept. It
It was time. We gathered our things and as a family we entered the Temple. We were there to be sealed together as a family, forever.
It is only on special occasions, such as this, that children are allowed in the Temple. We were led to the child care area. They would get Cal ready and take care of him until it was time.
In the Temple we dress in white. Patrick and I changed into our white clothes. We were led into the sealing room, where family and friends where waiting for us. It was the same room that we were married in, and so beautiful. Soon Cal was brought in to us. He too was dressed in white. He looks absolutely angelic. The Spirit was so strong, I could not keep back the tears.
I am so thankful for the priesthood. I am thankful for Temples and the power that is there to be sealed together forever. It is hard to explain the feeling we had there, but it was a moment we will never forget. It was precious beyond words. Calan was ours forever.
We came home and still had one more amazing experience. Patrick was able to give Calan a baby blessing. He held Cal and was surrounded by our fathers, brothers and brother in laws- all



14 comments:
You are such an amazing couple! I wish that I could have been there :c) Congrats on the special day FINALLY getting here! Love ya!
Congratulations! I'm so very happy for you!
It was truly a perfect day. I am still amazed that all of our family could be there and share this wonderful time with you. I will always cherish these sweet memories in my heart. I am eternally grateful. We are so blessed. Like you, I am thankful beyond words. I love you dear, Mom
Oh Erin I am so happy for you and Patrick and Cal. Truly a blessing in my life, it has been to know you and your family and be a part of it, if even from afar! You bless my life in so many ways, you all do. I love each of you so very much and I am so happy that finally Cal is yours and Patricks forever and forever. xxoo
Me again, I meant to add how beautiful I think the pictures are. I especially love the one on the bottom of Patrick with Cal on his shoulders. That is worthy of framing! There should never be any doubt in that little boy's mind that he is loved to pieces!
okay, this entry of yours touched my heart so deeply. My eyes teared up and my heart wants to burst with the joy i feel for you guys. Calen is yours forever and what an amazing day you all three shared with your family. I am so glad that you and calen found each other. it was meant to be for sure!
Erin, I am truly happy for you and Patrick and Calan! Thank you so much for sharing your experience; it touched my heart deeply.
We have beautiful, wonderful memories of that day (week) too. It meant the world to us to be there. Love you all.
I bet you were ready for a nap after all that crying! I know I would be! Congratulations! What a wonderful thing!
*becky*
Tears of joy!
Oh my goodness erin, seriously I still can't get over how special your little family is. What an amazing day that I know you will never forget.
And, I must say, the picture of you and cal is gorgeous....a framer for sure!
A most amazing memory to start off your family scrapbook of eternity!!
Pic of you and Calan... can't find adequate words, beautiful doesn't seem to cut it. He even has your red hair!!
Pic of Calan and his dad, adoreable!!
Calan knew what was going on for sure! You can see it in the smile in his eyes.
Much love sent your way.
Luv,
Bec
Erin,
I was just admiring that pic of you and Calan again. I just know he is going to look at that picture and just wonder at the beautiful mother he has! Truly!
I too am thankful for the chance to keep my little family together forever.
Post a Comment