Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Where on Earth can I find Heaven?

I have been thinking a lot about heaven lately.

The last time someone really close to me died was when I was 12 years old. My Grandmother treated me like something truly special. When I was around her, I felt pretty and smart and funny...

She was sick for several years before she died. We were lucky enough to have her come and live with my family for her last few years. I only knew her as older and a bit slower, but she was witty and quick as a whip intellectually. After school I would sit by her side as she would help me with my homework, particularly my vocabulary words. I would often use her as my personal dictionary as I filled in my vocabulary definitions. She was brilliant.

She loved the Gospel with all her heart. It was everything in her life and her testimony shined through in all she did.

She could make friends with anyone, and I mean ANYONE!! As a child I often remember her exchanging phone numbers with newly met friends in the grocery store. One of my favorite stories is the time we went to visit her in the hospital and there were 3 teenagers already there. As they left we questioned her as to who they were. "Well, they called my hospital room as a prank and we just got talking. Now they are my friends"

That was so typically my grandmother.

When she left this life it was easiest for me to imagine her the way I knew her here. I could see her catching up with her family- her daughter and son that had preceeded her in death, her mother and father that died only a month after her birth... there was certainly lots of catching up to do. I could also see her watching over us. In fact, when a thought of her popped into my head out of the blue I have always believed she was giving me a kiss on the forehead just to say "I love you". It happens all the time.

I guess that's where I developed my ideas of the after-life. It budded as I was a child and blossomed into my adulthood... nothing seemed to alter it.

Until the death of our sweet friend Karma.

Over the last 2 weeks I've reflected a lot about what she was doing and what it was like to be on the other side of the veil. I could fully imagine a joyous reunion with her husband and a lively chat with her parents and sister... even distant relatives. But then I could imagine Karma looking around and saying, "OK, now what do I get to do?"

She is a doer... and sitting around talking for the next couple hundred years would not sit well with this go-getter.

My imagination, I'm sure, has gotten the best of me... but it seemed as though the heavens have opened up in my mind and life on the other side is quite similar to life here on earth.

Those that were doers here are doers there. Those that chose not to get involved- well, that is their prerogative.

I could imagine Karma signing up for the "Planting Wild Flowers in the Meadows Committee" or perhaps "Assisting Mothers in Medical Emergencies Committee."

Don't think for a moment I'm discounting Heavenly Father's involvement in such tasks, but it just seems to make sense that we would have the ability to use our greatest talents to help others from the other side. HE would allow us that honor.

Then my thoughts turned to my sweet grandmother. I suddenly had no doubt that she was on the other side sharing her testimony of our Savior with anyone that doubted. I could also see her on the "Befriend the Friendless Committee". She would be so good at that. That would bring her such joy.

I'm sure there are lots of committees... such as help paint the sunset committee, comfort weary mothers committee, conductor of the song birds committee, help find lost keys committee... the list is endless.

So...

Where on earth can I find heaven?

I believe it's all around us.

Just close your eyes and feel it in your heart.

17 comments:

Shannon said...

Erin you are adorable. I love your idea of committees in Heaven. I wonder what I would sign up for.

Becca said...

No wonder I love you! I love hearing everything you have to say and am so glad that you are my friend and that you put a little bit of heaven in my life every time I talk to you.

Grammy Staffy said...

I am speechless dear. How precious you are... and how touching this post is. The veil has always been thinner for you than for most... I have been touched by your celestial insight since you were a child. I have no doubt that Mom and Karma are busily working on celestial committees.... I bet that they are even friends because Mom probably loves Karma for being a second grandmother to you.

Part of my heaven on earth is having you for a daughter. How did I get blessed with such precious and wonderful children??? I thank God for each of you every day.

Much love, Mom

Marie Rayner said...

Erin, I was going to say, and then you said it for me . . . Heaven is in Your Heart. What a beautiful and thoughtful post. You know, when you were describing your grandmommy, I thought immediately of your mother. That is her in a nutshell! Or what I know of her at any rate. How like her mother she must be. How blessed are you to have had such a wonderful nan and such a wonderful mom. And hey, I'm blessed too, to be able to call her, and you, my friends!
I hope you are feeling better. Sending lots of hugs and healing wishes your way! XXOO

Tricia said...

I'll be on the laundry committee, it all has to be washed, but for some reason I can't believe we'll ever get dirty there... washing clean clothes? SURE!

Loved this one!! Thanks, I have been wondering what my brother's doing up there. Probably trying to make everyone laugh.

Heather said...

I remember your grandmother, she was such a sweet and kind woman. She was the first person I remember knowing who died.

Baak Talk said...

Heaven all around us... DEFINATELY!
Committees............DEFINATELY!

After all, Father patterned this life here on earth after our life there!

I know the committees are much more productive since refreshment planning isn't such a necessary part of things!

j- said...

Beautiful Erin, my father passed away before I was born and often out of the blue the thought of him comes into my mind, and I think it is because the Spirit World is here. Our loved ones are not far away- and if we are open and aware we can feel them all around us.

Derrell said...

That's just so perfectly put. Erin, you should be a journalist! My favorite is the "help find lost keys committee".

lilli said...

Aunt Erin,that was beauifully said. I love the way you express your ideas. Your vison of Heaven is lovely.

P.S.Yes ,I am defenitly coming this summer.Can't wait to see you;)

Amandawhatever said...

That was really nice i loved it this is Amanda. see ya love amanda

The Snow Queen said...

Oh please let me go fast! Maybe that could be my committee. The NOT So LOnG Suffering Committee (I'm a murmurer like unto Sariah when in the wilderness)

honeysuckle said...

Erin, Which committee would you sign up for? I love that idea. Or do you think we will be "called" to our assigned committee? I'm sure there is lots of work for everyone up there to do and maybe we will be so busy we will have callings and committees of choosing, both. Thanks for the insight into Heaven.

Rachel and Todd said...

Hi Erin! I fell upon your blog via . . . a train of blogs, and I'm glad I did! You and Patrick are adorable and your blog is amazing. I'm glad I an now receive some of your wisdom by reading it!

my name is becky kelly said...

... that was thought provoking... I think you're going to be president of the "bring everyone a smile" committee

my name is becky kelly said...

*sorry I forgot to say that I was Becky Kelly, not just "someone"*

Diane Kneeland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.