Sunday, January 11, 2009

Our Christmas Traditions

Christmas is not Christmas without traditions. This was our 3rd Christmas as husband and wife and we have created quite a montage of festive events.

The Christmas Lights at Temple Square are spectacular. We head up on Trax because parking is difficult to find. First we eat some dinner at Crown Burger, the best french fries in town, then stroll around looking at the lights. We watch the nativity, look at the Christus, go into the Tabernacle- we love it.


Another great tradition is watching Christmas movies. We own over 10 Christmas movies and we watch all of them before Dec. 25. From Charlie Brown Christmas, Santa Clause is coming to town, Elf, Rudolph the red nosed Reindeer, A Christmas Story, Mr. Krueger's Christmas... we make time to watch them all.


There is a local theater that puts on AMAZING productions, but our favorite is their version of A Christmas Carol and it wouldn't be Christmas without it. My good friend, the drama teacher at the high school I worked at for 10 years, plays Scrooge and is the best I've ever seen.

Since the Christmas before we were married we have built a ginger bread house. Here is a picture of us in 2005 with our good friend Melissa.

We also find a great Christmas concert to go to. This year we went to the Salt Lake Symphonic Choir. They did a wonderful job and help to fill us with the Christmas Spirit.
.
We have celebrated Christmas Eve exactly the same for all 3 years. I make our favorite Lasagna dinner, Patrick reads from Luke 2 and we watch the Luke 2 video made by the church. We then snuggle up and watch It's a Wonderful Life while sipping egg-nog. We love this movie and it makes me cry every time.
.
On Christmas morning we get up early, open presents, make a yummy breakfast and then head to my sister's house. We feel so blessed to have family near by... it just wouldn't be the same without them! We stay in our PJ's all day, play with the kids new toys, work a puzzle and eat until we are sick... it's perfect! For the last two years my niece and nephews have come home with us that evening- we love it! Here is a video of them playing at our house last year. It makes me smile...
December is a special time of year. How thankful we are to be able to celebrate the birth of our Savior with so many fun and meaningful activities. We love Him and are thankful for all He has done for us.
.
The decorations are all put away, but hopefully we can keep the Christmas Spirit in our hearts all year round...

13 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I really loved seeing and reading about your family Christmas traditions. They are just wonderful and quite similar to ours, well all except for the having family around bit. There's just us two, but we try to drag in as many loose enders as we can to help us celebrate if if we can! Didn't work out this year as everyone was down with flu, but still, Christmas is love and we had plenty of that, and it looks like that is something you have plenty of as well! (((hugs)))

Grammy Staffy said...

What a fun post. I love your traditions....and I love you.

I didn't see you rolling in the snow after a dip in the hot tub... what's up with that????

Can't wait to hear about your trip to Indiana.

HAPPY MONDAY ...HAPPY WEEK
Love, Mom

Tricia said...

OK, the hot tub/rolling in snow tradition I can do without LOL! Makes me think my family is missing out on some great traditions we've started but never kept up with, like gingerbread houses and Temple Square lights. Thanks for your post, I will do better for my kids this year!

Heather said...

Great traditions! I love looking forward to Christmas and the traditions that come with it!

Baak Talk said...

We're so blessed to be able to enjoy Christmas in such wonderful ways! Love that time of year. It goes by too fast.

Lori said...

Your traditions are soooooo fun! I need to adopt some of those and do them for myself. how fun! i ESPECIALLY love the running out of the jacuzzi and rolling in the snow! that is hilarious!!!!!

Amandawhatever said...

This is Amanda hi and i love you traditions well see ya love Amanda

Amandawhatever said...

OH this is me again lonica was so funny luv amanda

Brianne and Brandon said...

Hi This is Brianne Woolstenhulme. I was your student about 5 years ago. I found your blog and was really excited. I have a question for you about becoming a asl interpreter. I sent you an email to your provo.edu address. I would love to get to talk to you. Email me or call me at your convenience.

Brianne (Woolstenhulme) Henscheid
bbhenscheid.blogspot.com
bri-henscheid@hotmail.com
801-830-3124

Christine said...

Considering we live around the corner I feel like I haven't seen you in FOREVER! Welcome back. Loved hearing about your Christmas.

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

We always used to do that when we were little! Ah I miss having the guts to things like that haha!

Mindy and Ernie's Clan said...

Hi this is Claire. I love you. I have a new blog. I hope you will come visit my blog.
Love Claire

Lynell said...

That is sooo funny! I had no idea that my kids did that. What a crack up. I love all of your traditions and we are so lucky that we get to be a part of some of them. We Love You! Thanks for such a fun birthday celebration for Justin. You always make everything so fun. We had such a great time!